We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Mum's breast damaged after mamogram

(7 Posts)
Tanfastic Sun 19-Mar-17 17:37:02

Hi ladies

Just wonder if anybody else has had any experience of this.

My mum is 70 and has had regular mammograms since she was fifty. She's got a very high pain threshold and isn't one to complain, she just gets on with it. She's never had any health problems.

Six months ago she went for her three yearly mammogram and when she came home she said how awful it was this time. The woman that did it was quite rough and my mum kept telling her she wasn't high enough but was ignored. My mum said she yelped in pain, she'd never experienced anything like it.

Anyway a couple of days later my mum noticed one of her breasts was black and blue and really hurting. She probably stupidly left it for a few months before visiting the gp because she was still in pain and there was still bruising in her breast. The gp was to put it mildly quite horrified and even called a nurse in to have a look as well. He said he can't feel anything but healthy breast tissue but on my mum's insistence has referred her to the breast clinic.

She is in too much pain to have another mammogram but wants to ask the consultant why her breast is still hurting. She says it feels like burning inside.

I'm pretty annoyed and feel like complaining ti be honest - would you?

Has anyone experienced this after a mammogram?

I'm really annoyed

Tanfastic Sun 19-Mar-17 17:40:25

By the way her mammogram was clear.

Crumbs1 Sun 19-Mar-17 17:44:32

I think I'd speak to PALS and ask them to explain rather than complain, as such. Does your mother take anticoagulant medication? The skin does become more fragile as one ages.
I've never bruised from mammograms but they're certainly uncomfortable and pinch quite hard. My mother has bruised a bit but tends to anyway.

RupertsMum2 Sun 19-Mar-17 17:52:43

I bruise very, very easily and didn't have any pain or bruising from a mammogram. I would have described it as uncomfortable at worst. I think she should bring it to their attention.

Butterymuffin Sun 19-Mar-17 17:55:03

I would complain as that doesn't sound like a properly done examination and it's not acceptable for someone to go on potentially hurting other patients. It's for the good of others. Speak to PALS but say you are not happy and mention the GP's reaction.

Tanfastic Sun 19-Mar-17 17:59:42

Thank you. No she doesn't take any medication.

She has never had one that hurt before she says but she did say the lady that went in before her came out complaining that it hurt as well.

I haven't had a mammogram yet but I would have thought that to be in this much pain six months on isn't really on. Like I say she's not one to complain so the fact she's been to the gp makes me think it really hurts.

The gp has made a note of the bruising as it was still slightly present when she went to see him.

What is PALS?

Crumbs1 Sun 19-Mar-17 18:12:57

All trusts have them. Patient Advice and Liaison Service. They can support you in making complaints or help you get answers to things - like this.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now