Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

GP or wait and see?

(33 Posts)
HatBox Sun 19-Mar-17 10:57:27

My right nipple and areola have been itching like mad for about 3-4 weeks. On Friday I noticed some puckering of the skin above the areola and felt some distinct thickening of the breast tissue in the area. This morning the thickening seems to have gone!
I am 52 and premenopausal so this is likely to be hormonal - yes?
Should I go and get it checked out anyway, or am I wasting GPs time?

chuntersalot Sun 19-Mar-17 10:59:37

Go to the GP. These sort of changes need checked.

NeonFlamingo Sun 19-Mar-17 11:08:01

Definitely go to the GP. Those sorts of symptoms definitely need to be checked by a GP, to rule out anything serious.

porkforsupper Sun 19-Mar-17 11:10:43

Gp. No debate

HatBox Sun 19-Mar-17 11:21:53

Ok. I guess this isn't the best time to ignore something.
It is most likely to be hormonal though - isn't it? Dr Google is coming up with his usual scary stuff.

NeonFlamingo Sun 19-Mar-17 11:47:19

The thing is, those are the kinds of symptoms that definitely do need to be checked- you can't just dismiss them as hormonal. I don't mean to scare you but it's just important to be safe with things like this. Try not to google things- you need someone experienced to have a look for you.

HatBox Sun 19-Mar-17 11:57:06

Thanks everyone. I will try to get an appointment tomorrow. Grim.

HatBox Mon 20-Mar-17 11:01:00

The dr agreed that something is amiss and referred me on to the Breast Clinic. It's going to be a long 2weeks. Feeling all too real now.

chuntersalot Mon 20-Mar-17 13:17:04

So glad you went.

I was just at the Breast Clinic last week (have a thread in here on it!). Was given a 'nothing to worry about' diagnosis.

flowers for you during the waiting

NeonFlamingo Mon 20-Mar-17 21:58:56

I know it's stressful but you did the right thing, it's better to be safe than sorry. The GP will just want to make sure it's been looked at properly. All the best and I hope you get an appointment quickly.

HatBox Tue 21-Mar-17 07:44:06

I have found out that I have been fast tracked. Not sure if this is is good, because I will be seen quickly, or just more scary. Nobody has told me why.

crankyhousewife Tue 21-Mar-17 07:52:24

It's not necessarily a bad thing, just that there is cause for concern.

I've been fast tracked before, was seen two days after GP appointment and it turned out to be nothing to worry about. Hopefully it will for you too.

SuperMoonIsKeepingMeUpToo Tue 21-Mar-17 07:58:33

Anything like that will be fast tracked. I was in your shoes last December having visited the GP due to breast pain. The waiting is horrendous but the overwhelming majority of us have cancer excluded. Please be reassured that the odds are massively in your favour. I found the forums on Breast Cancer Care useful at this time.

flowers and try not to worry (almost impossible not to, I know).

SuperMoonIsKeepingMeUpToo Tue 21-Mar-17 08:33:46

Also, check in to the lacies thread on this forum for a hand to hold during this time.

MollyHuaCha Tue 21-Mar-17 11:47:20

Good luck smile

GoodyGoodyGumdrops Tue 21-Mar-17 12:52:23

I was fast-tracked to the Breast Clinic, too. When offered the appointment they told me that they try to fast track as many as possible. It is not a sinister sign. They also warned me that Breast Clinic sees all breast concerns, including cancer. Being sent there is not an indication that anybody thinks you may have cancer.

I had suspicious discharge, which resolved itself untreated, and all investigations were clear.

Yes, it's frightening. But right now the fear is of the unknown, not of the facts.

Hope you get seen soon and get good news soon.

HatBox Tue 21-Mar-17 13:31:09

Thanks for all of your kind words and reassurance. I am trying to keep busy, whilst waiting for the phone call- which I am told to expect today.
I don't think I am quite ready for the Lacies cancer support thread. It feels too real and I am just coping with a day at a time. Trying not to look to far ahead.
Thanks again.

DubiousCredentials Tue 21-Mar-17 13:34:13

If you go to the Lacies thread, one of the opening posts is all about the statistics of breast clinic referrals and about lumps etc. It is very reassuring. I couldn't be "on" the thread when I was waiting for my clinic appointment, but reading that post definately helped.

DubiousCredentials Tue 21-Mar-17 13:58:20

It's "amber's words of wisdom".

HatBox Tue 21-Mar-17 15:12:23

Ok Thanks again for the advice. I could do with some logic and positive stats so I will have a read .

SuperMoonIsKeepingMeUpToo Tue 21-Mar-17 16:32:37

Totally understand your reluctance to join the lacies thread, op, but Amber's post is so reassuring, I do hope you've read it!

HatBox Wed 22-Mar-17 06:35:05

Thanks for the nudge towards Amber's words of wisdom SuperMoon . "9 out of 10" is my new mantra!
The phone call didn't come yesterday.

SuperMoonIsKeepingMeUpToo Mon 27-Mar-17 12:53:12

You must have your appointment now, Hat, when is it?

HatBox Tue 28-Mar-17 07:06:12

Not until next Tuesday. I have given myself a talking to and I am just getting on with life until then- keeping busy.
Thanks for caring.

SuperMoonIsKeepingMeUpToo Tue 28-Mar-17 07:16:41

You flipping well keep it that way! Butif you falter, we're here!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now