Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Breast Clinic follow up

(5 Posts)
chuntersalot Sun 19-Mar-17 10:30:13

I attended a Diagnostic Breast Clinic appointment last week.

Nothing serious was discovered but I was left a little confused 😐 after the consultation at the end.

Basically I presented with a newly inverted nipple and no other symptoms, 49 year old post menopausal.

I have something going on in my milk ducts. The Consultant summary was 'this is something that happens to smokers' and 'nothing further is necessary'.

I had 2 sets of Mammograms on the day as the first set showed 'something we want to take a closer look at' so I am pretty confident in the part of the diagnosis that ruled out Cancer but I just don't know what happens now.

Will I get a diagnosis of an actual condition sent to my GP?

As I said only symptom is the retracted nipple but I've no idea if this a temporary thing or a progressive thing 😟

Full disclosure - I wanted to ask these questions at the consultation but I was relieved that after the Mammograms there was nothing to worry about and as I opened my mouth to speak the Consultant told me I could leave and started dictating notes😮

Sorry so long 😀 I just have no clue what if anything should happen next?

DubiousCredentials Sun 19-Mar-17 16:48:27

I've recently been seen at a breast clinic and I get the impression that once they have ruled out cancer then you're pretty much sent on your way to buy some evening primrose oil. I was there for breast pain. Did you request to be copied in on the report to your GP? Might be worth ringing the clinic to ask for a copy if you didn't.

chuntersalot Sun 19-Mar-17 17:41:56

Thanks for the reply. I have a GP appointment on Friday for unrelated issues so if they have not received a report by then I'll contact the clinic to be copied in as you suggest.

I was obviously really pleased to be sent on my way 😀 But if this inverted nipple is going to be a permanent thing I might think about looking further into private treatment to pop it back out again 😀

NK346f2849X127d8bca260 Sun 19-Mar-17 19:58:58

I had this, although I am not a smoker

patient.info/doctor/mammary-duct-ectasia-and-periductal-mastitis

chuntersalot Mon 20-Mar-17 17:37:05

Thank you NK. That looks like what it could be. Do you mind me asking- did you need a biopsy for diagnosis or just imagining?

Although I am a smoker I was a little offended on behalf of non smokers as it really came across to me 'you smoke you get it - you don't smoke you don't get it' which is clearly incorrect on both counts 😀

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now