Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Stiff ankles in morning since having DS

(32 Posts)
fruityb Sat 18-Mar-17 22:11:38

I had it from around seven months pregnant and DS is now nearly seven months old himself. First thing in the morning I have really stiff ankles and feet - I almost have to shuffle on the sides of my feet when I first get up. Going down stairs hurts to begin with as well. It's better after I've walked on them for a bit but it's every day. It's something I thought would get better and it hasn't really - it maybe wore off a bit after he was born but then it came back. Is this still relaxin hangover? It's really uncomfortable. I'm going to see the doctor this week but just wondered if anyone else had suffered with this?

KanyesVest Sat 18-Mar-17 22:21:56

I don't know what it is or if/how it can be fixed, but Ds is nearly 5 and my feet and ankles are still stiff when I've been sitting/lying for a while, and especially in the morning.

HumphreyCobblers Sat 18-Mar-17 22:25:45

I had this after my second dd. Had to come downstairs on my bum. It did wear off.

I have wondered if vitamin d would have helped? <unscientific>

RedBugMug Sat 18-Mar-17 22:27:28

I had that after having dc2 as well.
vit d3 supplements seem to help

Glitteryunicorn Sat 18-Mar-17 22:27:33

My arches fell during pregnancy I had to see the podiatrist. I now have insoles and they gave me some exercises to strengthen the muscles in my feet and ankles which has helped

fruityb Sun 19-Mar-17 06:54:05

Vitamin d could be it I had to take it after eight week check as my levels were low. I'll go get that checked again. I don't remember when it got bad but it's tricky walking at first!

usefultoken Sun 19-Mar-17 06:58:35

Yes I had the same, it only went when I got pregnant again. Actually I knew I was having a miscarriage when the stiffness returned! I didn't get it after ds2 and actually was taking vit d by then so that makes sense.

Mouthfulofquiz Sun 19-Mar-17 07:07:39

Blimey - I considered starting this post this morning. I could barely walk when I got out of bed. I put it down to sitting cross legged when I feed the baby at night, but it happens even if I sit or stand normally during the day. Will try the vit d supplements. It's been an issue for around 6 months now!

fruityb Sun 19-Mar-17 07:36:00

I blamed being cross legged mouthful as I'm on the floor with DS so much but it's still bad. I'll sort vit d out. I went over on one a couple of weeks back and thought I was going to either puke or pass out it hurt so much.

Slothlikesundays Sun 19-Mar-17 07:54:36

I had this. I just presumed it was because I sat breastfeeding in bed. Didn't know it was a thing! It stopped when she was about 4 months old.

mellysam Sun 19-Mar-17 08:00:04

I have similar, the top of my feet hurt and are stiff in the morning. Especially bad that first trip down the stairs. Seems to get better as I get moving but hurts after I've been sat down a while. The twins are six months now, I'm desperate for it to go away!
Will get some Vit D supplements then, thank you for this thread fruity

greedygorb Sun 19-Mar-17 08:04:10

Sometimes you can overstetch your ankle ligaments really easily without noticing when you're pregnant and bfing with all that relaxin. Especially kneeling down a lot etc when changing nappies. When it all tightens up you can have done quite a lot of damage to your ankles and feet. Happened me. Exercise helps, with inserts to support your arches. Roll your feet around before you get out of bed. DS is 8 now and I still have ankle trouble in the morning particularly if I lie on my back at night.

NormaSmuff Sun 19-Mar-17 08:06:12

i had achilles tendonitis, bought inserts, cured it eventually.
but i was incredibly stiff in the morning

fruityb Sun 19-Mar-17 08:07:52

Pleased I asked now 😊 I was taking a supplement so it may have come on after that. I put it down to sensation coming back after losing all the fluid after DS was born! But it's getting uncomfortable now. I also have splitting peeling nails which may be a problem from it too. Will be heading straight for the vits section today!

TheBadgersMadeMeDoIt Sun 19-Mar-17 08:12:48

I get this too, but it started before I had DD. It's got worse since then and I injured my foot last year which hasn't helped matters.

Had no idea it was so widespread! Fruity, do report back with the doctor's advice (if you don't mind sharing, of course).

fruityb Sun 19-Mar-17 08:15:27

I'm going to ask for another blood test. My gp was actually shocked at my 8 week check I hadn't been given anything as my levels were low after my c section and all the blood they took at hospital showed that. I haven't been tested again since I took it way back in November. I'll request another and of course I'll report back.

Dolallytats Sun 19-Mar-17 08:19:23

I thought I was the only one who had this!! I an't remember when it started but it was after DC3. I have to shuffle to the bathroom if I get up in the night and it's worse again if I sit down for long periods.
I had SPD with my youngest, who is now 3.5, did any of you? I'm wondering if this ould be a reason?

NormaSmuff Sun 19-Mar-17 08:19:27

basically with achilles tendonitis you have been in a position that has changed your tendons, shrunk it, ie sat for too long.

TupperwareTat Sun 19-Mar-17 08:20:02

Have you been barefoot/socks only a lot more since being on mat leave?

NormaSmuff Sun 19-Mar-17 08:20:35

so the tendon is inflamed, you need exercises and an insole.

fruityb Sun 19-Mar-17 08:25:43

It may be inflamed tendons as I am in socks a lot more due to being in the house more. It's more the sides of my ankles and the tops of my feet than my Achilles though. I had incredibly painful hips when I was pregnant but never diagnosed spd, I do remember the pain and feeling like I needed oiling when walking!

BeyondUnderthinking Sun 19-Mar-17 08:27:57

My psoriatic arthritis started after having ds2 (alongside a big psoriasis flare up) and I know quite a few people whose similar illnesses started at that time.

So I'd see a doctor, just in case it's anything like that.

littlebillie Sun 19-Mar-17 08:35:47

Stay in bed and put your feet up in the air or against a wall each night

mellysam Sun 19-Mar-17 08:37:54

I've had several blood tests since giving birth (due to complications after birth, I'm still on medication) but no deficiencies showed up, doctor even tested for bone problems.
I bought some new trainers with special insoles the other day (in the interest of getting more active, hah!), so will perhaps wear those around the house for a bit and combined with the vitamins fingers crossed!

BarchesterFlowers Sun 19-Mar-17 08:38:22

Achilles tendonitis is a symptom of low B12 for me. I have injections every 10 weeks and at 8 weeks I start to notice the stiffness in the mornings.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now