Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Coccyx pain

(22 Posts)
Itscurtainsforyou Sat 18-Mar-17 21:54:18

I have a bad pain whenever I get up from sitting. It's not constant (thankfully) so painkillers won't help, but has anyone else experienced this and can give me any tips about stopping/dealing with it?

BakerBear Sat 18-Mar-17 21:59:20

I had this 10 years ago after a bad fall were I slipped on ice on a cobbled road and fell flat on my back.

I was off work for a week and it was really painful. GP said it heals itself and there is no treatment

gamerchick Sat 18-Mar-17 22:00:13

Just time sadly. Maybe a pad to hold on it in as you get up may help?

IgnoreMeEveryOtherReindeerDoes Sat 18-Mar-17 22:03:25

Yes I am at the moment, 3 weeks on and I still need to alternative sitting on each bum cheek, I think I actually fractured mine. I've done a lot of standing, my bum was so swollen the first week. In fact I even wrote a humour blog post about it.

FromageRay Sat 18-Mar-17 22:09:30

I feel for you, it's incredibly painful isn't it! If it's a recent injury then anti-inflammatories will help with any soft tissue damage but the bone can take a good while to fully heal.
Mine was cracked during DD1's birth and even though it doesn't cause me any problems now, the pain is still fresh in my mind - a really sharp pain that lasts barely a second or two but takes your breath away. My coccyx wedge cushion made a huge difference to me, it has a chunk taken out of it so that your coccyx isn't in contact with the cushion/seat which helps with moving from sitting to standing. Loads of places online have them, I got mine from a physio supplies website but I think I remember that even Argos had them at the time. HTH.

Itscurtainsforyou Sat 18-Mar-17 22:19:28

Thanks all - interesting about the cushion fromageray, I think I'll feel a bit self-conscious but it might just be worth it!

I can't even remember when it started, but being realistic I rarely feel comfortable sat at a desk at work - my ideal is to work at home propped up on the sofa - is it possible to recover from? I feel so old!

I also feel a fraud as it's not constant pain like my sciatica was a few years ago, just really acute pain when moving from sitting and general discomfort when sat at my desk.

FromageRay Sat 18-Mar-17 22:22:44

I don't think anyone noticed my cushion! Maybe just use it at home or in the car if you're feeling self conscious? It really does help with the healing process. I found sitting on hard chairs or the floor was so much more comfortable than soft chairs sofa's. I had to put up with it for 2 years though!

Bluntness100 Sat 18-Mar-17 22:23:02

How did it happen op? Did you hurt yourself? I've broken my coccyx and yes it's agony, but I slipped on ice, legs shot out in front of me, and I landed hard on my arse. Went numb from the waist down, it eased and I was helped up, took at least six weeks to eight weeks for the pain to ease.

If you haven't fallen and hurt yourself, and it's just become sore then I think you need to see a doctor, if you fell and hurt yourself that is different and just takes time.

alltouchedout Sat 18-Mar-17 22:23:34

I've had it since the birth of Ds3. He's 2 years 4 months now. It's getting worse not better. I have a cushion for my work chair with a gap to keep pressure off the coccyx. Painkillers do help, but I don't find they do more than take the edge off (I've only used paracetamol and ibruprofen as I'm terrified of getting dependant on stronger pain relief). My gp did refer to the musculoskeletal clinic last summer, asking them to consider anaesthetic injections, but they said they didn't do them and offered me advice on exercise. I do the exercises, they don't seem to be helping but maybe without them things would be even worse. I have sciatica too, but not all the time.

Heat is good, I find, and walking. I really do hate it. I hope yours goes away fast!

Itscurtainsforyou Sat 18-Mar-17 22:50:20

I don't really know when it started - it seems like it's been a while ( possibly going back to birth of dc1 - I had an epidural, any connection?) but it's been noticeably worse since returning to work from last pregnancy as I had had time away from office chairs etc so I think I was subconsciously managing it (i.e. Avoiding sitting where possible!)

IgnoreMeEveryOtherReindeerDoes Sat 18-Mar-17 22:59:41

Trap nerve? Tissue damage? My coccyx is throbbing now. Even just standing but it's worse when sitting down driving for a hour I get out car like a 100yr old woman and pain is unabeArble for hours after.

Maybe get GP to check it out especially as you don't know how it started whereas mine was due to a very clumsy bad fall. I've had a epidural and had no back problems but have heArd people say that it has caused them problems.

TheLongRains Sat 18-Mar-17 23:02:40

I've had this on and off for almost ten years. Mostly on, sometimes off. It's horrific at times. I had no injury that I know of, and keep being told to take ibuprofen when it's bad, which helps a little but is such a temporary fix.

I've recently been given physio exercises, as it is currently almost constant pain and I can't sit, stand, walk or lie down without being in pain - the physio exercise hurt like you wouldn't believe, so I'm not sure they're going to do much!

The last GP I saw said something about hypersensitivity, but didn't have much more to offer other than ibuprofen (I'm breastfeeding, but apparently there are stronger antiinflammatory drugs you can take if not breastfeeding).

I'd go to the GP if it persists. Hopefully they'll be able to help you quicker than they have helped me! (though I left it about two years before bothering to go in the first place, assuming it would just go away...)

ThatIsNachoCheese Sat 25-Mar-17 16:21:04

You can have steroid injections to help with this, might be worth asking about them?

RandomMess Sat 25-Mar-17 16:35:16

It could have been dislocated/moved just by giving birth. I really think it's worth going to see an osteopath. Mine helped massively 2 years after I very likely fractured mine (managed to give myself whiplash at the same time). It was horrific and although tender 8 years on it's not as painful as what you are describing now.

froggers1 Sat 25-Mar-17 16:37:23

I've had my coccyx removed...not for the faint hearted..I ended up having an MRI which showed bad dislocation. I had steroid injections under sedation which helped but ended up having it removed. If you look at coccyx.org you will find lots of info..

Paddingtonthebear Sat 25-Mar-17 16:40:53

It's probably coccydinia. GP referred me to rheumatologist at hospital who gives me a steroid injection coccyx once a year

www.nhs.uk/Conditions/coccydinia/Pages/Introduction.aspx

Paddingtonthebear Sat 25-Mar-17 16:41:29

Mine was likely damaged during childbirth. I put up with it for 3 years then went to GP

chocolatespiders Sat 25-Mar-17 16:47:12

I fell down the stairs before Christmas straight onto my bum. I consider myself to have a high pain threshold. The pain on standing was unbearable and I used to scream... took 8-10 weeks to heal and even now if I sit for a long period it twinges when I stand. Dd swimming ring helped to sit on.

ThatIsNachoCheese Sat 25-Mar-17 17:10:32

I've had mine removed too @froggers1, I'm 9 months post op and in more pain than before sad. Did it work for you?

RandomMess Sat 25-Mar-17 17:28:04

I feel physical ill at the thought of having it removed! I hope mine behaves itself and doesn't get worse again shock

fannydaggerz Sat 25-Mar-17 17:43:15

Do you have a pilonidal cyst?

froggers1 Sat 25-Mar-17 19:14:16

Hi, well the sharp sitting on a bone pain has gone but sadly still in pain. What's really helped is seeing a pelvic floor physio. She has been breaking up scar tissue and relaxing my muscles. But I am having nerve ablation next Saturday..we will see..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now