Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Does anyone know about mole removal and the aftercare pls?

(6 Posts)
Chewbecca Sat 18-Mar-17 16:54:31

I'm having a mole removed, doc referred me on Friday & says I'll probably get a call on Monday with an appointment as it has to be done within 2 weeks (govt commitment?).

I am going away on Fri 31st, long haul flight & tropical destination.

Has anyone had a similar procedure & if so, can you tell me about what happened afterwards pls, am I likely to have stitches or what sort of dressings etc I might have? Will I be ok to swim (sea & pool)? (I have a snorkelling excursion booked!)

I am wondering whether I should postpone until after my trip.

Any advice welcomed, thanks.

Wildernesstips Sat 18-Mar-17 18:53:46

I have had three removed. One I had several stitches, the others were cauterised. The ones that were cauterised had a dressing on for a day or two and were then fine. The stitches I had to have removed by a nurse.

I have a feeling I was advised to stay out of the sun, but I can't remember. If the wound hasn't healed, the sea water is going to make it sting.

BarchesterFlowers Sat 18-Mar-17 18:55:09

Not sure about postponing your trip, depends on what they think it is when you get there. I would ask your Dr, either way you need to tell your travel insurance company.

I have had several removed and they have all been different. The least invasive was removed with an apple corer type thing, others have had a few disolvable stitches. The worst one involved ten stitches, plus some internal stitches and a check up a week later. Stick on white dressings. Not sure I would swim with any of them until they have healed a bit.

LorraLorraLlama Sat 18-Mar-17 18:57:48

Stitches out after 5 days at gp surgery.
Mot to get wet for a few days and no sun exposure for a while after.

Chewbecca Sat 18-Mar-17 19:20:15

Hmmm, thanks, seems it is very variable. I guess I need to go to the appt and see what they intend to do before deciding.

Trip will definitely not be postponed, procedure might be though.

I've had the mole thing for a long time already though I visited the GP because it has begun to tingle. It is unlikely to be malignant but of course cannot be sure without biopsy.

Chewbecca Sat 18-Mar-17 19:20:46

I hope yours are all ok now flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now