Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Tonsillitus symptoms - but no tonsils?

(10 Posts)
Tirion1649 Fri 17-Mar-17 05:26:48

Following horrendous abdo pains (perhaps unconnected, though) at the end of last week, developing sore throat, ears, painful swallowing, heavy head, very weak and unable to sleep - coughing a lot and generally awake.

Up at this time, head seems full of cold and the ear and throat symptoms very bad. Wondering about tonsillitus but, aged 4, had them removed (not very well - has caused problems before). Blood tests following abdo pains suggest (again) anaemia and vit D deficiency so probably generally very run down.

Questions: would I be unwelcome at the GP or best to speak on phone? My biggest worry right now is the pain I have been swallowing or is this power for the course for a very bad cold /strep A infection if that's what it is?
Staying off work but desperately hoping to be back by Monday (things piling up).

Over the counter meds in the meantime? Trying to minimise but getting desperate. Thanks!

sniffle12 Sat 18-Mar-17 09:29:18

I also have no tonsils but get bad...who knows, viral throat infection, strep throat? I dunno.

There's a day each time where I start to doubt it's just going to clear up on its own and consider going to GP, but I can guarantee 1-2 days later it always starts clearing up. Is very unpleasant though.

Comps83 Sat 18-Mar-17 19:13:20

I'm sure Ive heard people who have had their tonsils removed say they can still get tonsillitis but it goes further down the throat.

BillyDaveysDaughter Sat 18-Mar-17 19:17:00

Tonsillitis with no tonsils is strep throat I believe, I've had it twice and was very ill. Most unpleasant.

If it is strep throat, it's one of the occasions where antibiotics are needed. Although I'm no doctor, obvs...just a person with regrettably extensive experience smile

BeyondUnderthinking Sat 18-Mar-17 19:18:21

I've had tonsil/less/itis quite a few times smile

lazydog Sat 18-Mar-17 21:37:10

Just sounds like a nasty viral respiratory infection. People often get sore throats with coughs and colds. Far more common for it to be viral than bacterial, but if you're no better in a few days, might be worth your dr taking a throat swab...

lazycrazyhazy Mon 20-Mar-17 00:13:17

I have had it too and the GP described it as tonsil-bed-itis. Hope you feel better.

Tirion1649 Mon 20-Mar-17 10:59:48

Thank you, all, for such good advice. Things came to a head on Saturday (pain wise), went to out of hours doctor yesterday who put me on penicillin. Examined throat, spoke of infection & strep throat but didn't do a swab (I did ask him about this but he said he wasn't necessary). I just hope that he's right - that it is bacterial and that therefore the antiobiotics will do some good. He noticed that there's a degree of scarring as the removal of my tonsils was rather botched when I was 4.

Have a regular GP's app for this afternoon. Should I go knowing that I'm still infectious (yesterday's doc talked about Wednesday things calming down and being able to go back to work, possibly) and see if this time a swab test is done or would this be rather antisocial, knowing that I am possibly still infectious and that at least I could give the full course of penicillan a go? I had originally being going to discuss blood test results but that conversatio could wait for a few days. Thanks for any further thoughts.

Still desperately weak and sore - but that would be power for the course with strep, I guess.

lazycrazyhazy Mon 20-Mar-17 19:53:39

I didn't see this in time. Did you go to GP?

KanyesVest Mon 20-Mar-17 20:00:58

My tonsils grew back. So I either get tonsillitis or strep depending on the location and germ family.

Hope you're feeling better as the medicine kicks in.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now