We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

New to ESA

(1 Post)
FairytalesAreBullshit Fri 17-Mar-17 04:12:45

After some encouragement from other MN'ers, I've finally took the dive & applied for ESA, which was a long ass conversation.

It can be backdated 3 months, so hopefully sorting that out. I wondered you know you spend how ever long in the Assessment phase, if you get awarded ESA in the support group, do they backdate the difference between the assessment period & being put into the support group? If that makes sense. I think it's £70 in the assessment period, but £109 in the support group, so the difference is £30.

Can anyone explain how it works please?

I had to go for income related as I don't have the NI contributions needed. The person did explain it, it's annoying as I worked for 25+ years before I had to stop. So I have paid a ton of NI just not in the right period.

DH works, we've 2DC, will his income affect my claim? They're was confusion as I said we're 2 separate entities, I get no support from him at all. He pays the bills, I'm not named on the mortgage anymore as I had nothing to contribute when we swapped it. I'm sure I'm not on the deeds either as H was making a fuss about that.

It'd be gutting to have worked so long, pay into the system, when I needed help I'm not eligible because of what H earns. Even though it seems weekly he's counting down to when I can move out which is another saga in itself.

I knew it was going to be stressful which is why I put it off so long after work retired me. Now I'm worried I left it too long and won't get a penny.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now