Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Thyroid function tests

(9 Posts)
HaPPy8 Thu 16-Mar-17 20:09:26

Is anybody able to advise me if my results look ok? I have many symptoms of a thyroid problem but they are very non-specific. I know my results fall with the reference ranges but have seen people advised further investigation on here even when that is the case. Many thanks.

TSH 2.46 (0.27-4.2)
Free Thyroxine 13 (12-22)

Pleasemrstweedie Thu 16-Mar-17 22:12:17

TSH is too high and FT4 is way too low, when I had results like that I was so heavily symptomatic that I was diagnosed with CFS! Your challenge will be that the NHS won't treat you until your TSH goes out if the reference range and perhaps not even then, until your TSH reaches 10.

Can I suggest you have a look at the ThyroidUK forum on www.healthunlocked.com. They will be able to advise on additional testing and strategies to make you feel better.

RNBrie Thu 16-Mar-17 22:16:49

Is it worth going privately? I have her insurance but would need a GP referral. My Tsh is 2.5 but I have a bunch of hypothyroidism symptoms and a family history if hypothyroidism. My GP says my Tsh is totally normal so I have no idea what he'd say if I asked for a referral.

HaPPy8 Fri 17-Mar-17 06:57:50

Thank you for your advice, i also doubt i will get any help on the NHS Ive no idea what to do.

HaPPy8 Fri 17-Mar-17 07:06:11

Does anyone know of a private GP in the Hampshire area that might help based on these results?

MichaelSheensNextDW Fri 17-Mar-17 18:41:57

Has the GP tested for thyroid antibodies? Do your relatives have Hashimoto's?
I had the same experience as mrstweedie in that I was given a diagnosis of CFS which I knew was bullshit as it explained about 20% of my symptoms. My GP only admitted hypothyroidism when my TSH rose to 9.7 with a T4 of 10 and TPO antibodies of >1000. I now have a huge goitre which could have been avoided if my TSH hadn't been allowed to rise so much.
The mistreatment of hypothyroidism is a scandal in this country (in the US and mainland Europe you would meet the criteria for diagnosis and treatment).

HaPPy8 Fri 17-Mar-17 19:18:40

Hi MichaelSheen, no these are the only tests i have and I paid for them privately via medichecks. There are autoimmune disorders in my family but I don't know if Hashimotos is in the family. I have depression despite a 'happy' life, excessive tiredness despite what should be adequate sleep, cracked nails, dry skin, i'm always cold, I had trouble conceiving, irregular and heavy periods. In short, I just feel really worn out and rubbish all the time and I wish I knew why. Thank you for your response, sorry you were not treated well.

MichaelSheensNextDW Sat 18-Mar-17 17:40:32

sorry I didn't mean to just have a mighty whinge on your thread! not very helpful to you. Your symptoms sound very typical for hypothyroidism and there's a very strong genetic association. Let us know how you get on flowers

HaPPy8 Mon 20-Mar-17 09:51:10

Not at all it is all very helpful! I have got a telephone appointment with my GP today so will see what they think. If they aren't sure about testing I will get some bloods done privately I think.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now