Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

MRI shows inflammation on small bowel

(9 Posts)
lloydjam Thu 16-Mar-17 20:07:27

HI

My DD has just had an MRI which shows inflammation and thickening of the small intestine. She has suffered from stomach pain for years. She is a coeliac. Chrohns and Ulcerative colitis have been ruled out (to the best of my knowledge). Does anyone have an idea what may be causing this? thank you

lloydjam Mon 27-Mar-17 14:58:02

just putting this out again in case anyone can help ?

Ilikecrocs Mon 27-Mar-17 15:04:04

I have Crohn's disease and that's the kind of results I've had from previous MRI's.
How have they reached the decision that it's not?

lloydjam Mon 27-Mar-17 16:09:33

HI there she has had a negative faecal calprolectin test (?) and doesn't seem to have any blood in her faces - would that be enough to rule it out ? thanks

Ilikecrocs Mon 27-Mar-17 16:35:20

My Crohns is in my small bowel and I've never had blood when I've been to the toilet.
I've had Crohns for 16 years.
I can't really answer about the calprotectin stool sample as I'm not sure what my previous levels have been.
I honestly can not think of what else could cause inflammation in the small bowel.

lloydjam Mon 27-Mar-17 18:45:08

Thank you , hopefully we shall get some answers from the consultant next week.

Ilikecrocs Mon 27-Mar-17 20:14:47

Good Luck flowers

fireandicecubes Mon 27-Mar-17 23:05:55

I'm the same as Ilikecrocs I've never had blood or mucus in my stools & my CRP level has never gone above 10 except during my massive flare 5 years ago when I was finally diagnosed with Crohns (I'd had symptoms for 20 years but all tests had been inconclusive until then). I think the symptoms depend on where the inflammation actually is. My Crohns was mainly in my terminal ileum with small amounts of inflammation higher up my small bowel. I had to have resection surgery due to a fistula 2 years ago & thankfully I've been in remission since.

I can't think of anything but IBD which could cause inflammation in the small bowel. Good luck, hope you get some answers next week flowers

lloydjam Tue 28-Mar-17 08:46:24

Thank you both - my DD has pretty much pain every day and so doesn't seem to get flare ups or remission so it doesn't seem to fit with classic chrohns (to my limited knowledge) . Will be glad to get some answers. !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now