Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Hysterectomy due to fibroids - any experiences?

(12 Posts)
lozzylizzy Thu 16-Mar-17 13:34:36

Seen gynaecologist this week and I have two options. Embolisation or a hysterectomy. I have been thinking a little about it (I have four months to decide - although i might not be suitable for embolisation) and I am swayed towards a hysterectomy.

I have read it can be done keyhole now and that if you leave the ovaries you don't go into menopause. I have no friends who have experienced this and I really don't want to go into menopause at 32.

BG2015 Fri 17-Mar-17 22:09:33

I have fibroids. Discovered last year after my coil failed and I started bleeding. I've probably had them for years but the coil has kept the bleeding under control.

I had an endometrial ablation last September- it didn't work and a female consultant told me she didn't know why I'd been given the ablation as they rarely work with fibroids.

I'm now on the waiting list for a hysterectomy- saw my consultant 5 weeks ago. I'm having keyhole surgery (all being well) and keeping my ovaries. I'm 48.

I'm taking Northisterone to stop the bleeding. I wish I'd gone for a hysterectomy last summer as it was an option, but the ablation seemed less drastic. Hey ho

lozzylizzy Fri 17-Mar-17 22:40:21

Thank you for your reply. Ill be interested to know how you get on smile

WipsGlitter Fri 17-Mar-17 22:54:57

I'm taking esyma for fibroids. I'm dreading stopping it as it's stopped my periods which were 😲

I'm going to try the mirena but I want a hysterectomy.

lozzylizzy Fri 17-Mar-17 23:05:13

Ive not heard of esyma are u not in the uk?

BG2015 Sat 18-Mar-17 07:37:07

Esyma is prescribed to reduce the size of the fibroids either before surgery or to relieve symptoms/size so other procedures can be tried.

My fibroids aren't large (3.5cm is the biggest one) but they are causing the bleeding. It's relentless and and makes me so down.

Many consultants now want women to try all the different options before resorting to a hysterectomy. With your age too, that will make a difference.

Do you know how big your fibroids are? What are your symptoms and have you had children?

I'd choose a hysterectomy personality but I'm a lot older than you.

WipsGlitter Sat 18-Mar-17 08:01:02

I am in the U.K. It's a fairly new drug though. I got it through a private appointment. Neither my gp or the pharmacist had heard of it.

lozzylizzy Sat 18-Mar-17 08:16:36

My consultant says that with the position and how fast the biggest fibroid has grown I have the above two options. I got the impression that he wanted to prepare me for a hysterectomy especially as I have finished my family.

The embolisation sounds very painful and the others could grow so I am thinking hysterectomy. I have just heard some horror stories about having one after a caesarian. (bladder problems etc)

tobee Sat 18-Mar-17 11:38:27

Hi. I had a hysterectomy for fibroids two years ago. (I'm a lot older than you btw) Seemingly no problems afterwards, with bladder or anything. Just the 6 week recuperation. They conserved my ovaries after checking them by scan and during surgery and so I've not gone into menopause. Best thing I've done, no regrets leaving my appalling fibroid related periods behind.

Anyway, there are lots of hysterectomy support threads on here, both current and if you use the search for past threads. Also hystersisters is a good site.
Then you can make your decision, hopefully.

lozzylizzy Sat 18-Mar-17 12:19:31

Thank you tobee I will check out that site. Same here I couldn't think of going on with this for a possible 20 years!

HotelRedFace Sat 18-Mar-17 18:14:28

I had a keyhole hysterectomy for fibroids two years ago when I was 31.
I was discharged from hospital the next day, my pain was controlled by ibuprofen and I was back at work 3 weeks later (was predicted to be two but I came down with tonsillitis at the end of the first week so my GP recommended a third week off).
Two days post-surgery I was sat in a friend's garden with my feet in the paddling pool whilst her husband cooked a BBQ, and by the end of the first week I was able to make the short walk into town with my husband to go for a coffee.
My ovaries were left alone to prevent early menopause but my cervix was removed as I had a history of abnormal smear test results.
I have never looked back and would recommend it to anyone who is confident that their family is complete.

lozzylizzy Sun 19-Mar-17 09:37:08

HotelRedFace thank you for your story smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now