Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Tooth extraction - is what is normal healing?

(19 Posts)
Snugglepalace Thu 16-Mar-17 07:57:46

I had a back Molar removed on Tuesday, the dentist was as gentle as she could be but did have a little struggle and had to tug and pull quite a bit as the tooth was wedged in a bit by the wisdom tooth next to it.
Because of this I do expect to feel a bit sore for a while, which I do, although the pain did keep me awake last night despite taking painkillers.
However, what is concerning me is that since yesterday I can taste a foul taste and have bad breath - is that normal?
I've done all I should, no poking about, soft foods, gentle salt rinses etc. When I look at the area there is a white/grayish area now - is this normal or could it be an infection?
I'm ringing them as soon as they open but wondered if anyone has had an extraction and can advise me please!

HateSummer Thu 16-Mar-17 08:01:31

My understanding is that if the clot doesn't form you can develop a "dry socket" that causes bad breath and delays healing. Im not sure if it applies to normal tooth extraction, but certainly wisdom tooth extraction.

Snugglepalace Thu 16-Mar-17 08:11:49

I've been reading up about dry socket and that's my fear, I hear it's very painful! Just rung dentist the receptionist said it could be an infection she's going to get the dentist to ring me sad

ErrolTheDragon Thu 16-Mar-17 08:16:25

I had a back molar out recently and didn't experience the symptoms you describe. Glad you've contacted the dentist already. She'll give you the best advice, and treatment if needed. You've got onto it quickly so hopefully won't be too bad. flowers

Snugglepalace Thu 16-Mar-17 08:28:08

Not too impressed with the dentist tbh! Spoke to them, she says it could be an infection but they can't see me today as they are fully booked can see me 6pm tomorrow! What the hell do I do now? Going to try my gp, don't hold up much hope though!!

Snugglepalace Thu 16-Mar-17 08:29:53

Bloody gp won't even look at me as it's a dental issue ffs!

HateSummer Thu 16-Mar-17 09:29:51

That is so crap! I had an emergency appointment for my tooth a few weeks ago. Was seen on the day at 10am, sent to hospital for an X-ray because I couldn't open my mouth on the same day and then back to the same dentist in the afternoon for plan of action. This was all in a space of 3 hours.

Could you ring up other dental practices and see if they have any appointments available? As far as I'm aware, for dentist work, you're free to go wherever you wish to and aren't restricted to the place you're registered.

Snugglepalace Thu 16-Mar-17 10:51:56

I'm going to go down there, talk to them in person, feel they can fob you off on phone!

HateSummer Thu 16-Mar-17 16:09:21

How did it go? Any luck?

Snugglepalace Fri 17-Mar-17 19:21:52

I'm glad I went down. They saw me I have a slight infection and lost half the blood clot so the start of dry socket! He packed it with this brown stuff which tasted of cloves. It's still a bit painful today (nerve like pain) and I still have a horrible taste and bad smell there, just hope it doesn't get worse over the wkend, I dont fancy seeking out the local emergency dentist! Anyone had this? How long did it take to heal? I hate my teeth!

SorrelSoup Sun 19-Mar-17 08:34:01

I've had 2 dry sockets, one last month. It took ten days. You may need to get it packed again. Don't panic, it will get better.

WombatStewForTea Sun 19-Mar-17 12:50:44

Hope you feel better soon.
I had dry socket after a normal extraction and it was hands down the worst pain I've ever been in. Then suddenly after 5 days or so it completely stopped all of a sudden and was fine.

Reba0706 Wed 22-Mar-17 11:53:28

I'm going through something very similar at the moment. How are you today? I had my two front upper teeth extracted on 9th march, by the Sunday I had exactly the same yellow/ whitish pus as you describe and a foul smell and taste. My dentist was closed for the week but I phoned him and he gave me emergency antibiotics and then he saw me on the Friday so over a week later. He said I'd had dry socket but he wouldn't put the clove dressing in because I'd already started healing and my body had dealt with the dry socket itself, he did put me on metronidazole for a week though. I didn't have horrible pain with it though so I found it hard to believe I'd had dry socket at all. I did have a bit of throb and nerve pain but I just thought that was from having the teeth yanked. I'm now 13 days after extractions and things in the sockets are looking much calmer but I can't wear my denture for long without soreness

Reba0706 Wed 22-Mar-17 11:55:14

The worst thing for me of the next tooth along as it seems to have been traumatised by the extraction...at least I'm hoping that's all it is and that I don't need work doing on that one too!! It's got a mild dull ache to it and if I touch it or push it with my tongue accidentally it really hurts

Snugglepalace Wed 22-Mar-17 13:09:01

It does seem to be getting better although I still have the nerve type pain on & off but it's bearable and I'm not taking pain killers. I've stopped taking the metronidazole as it has flared up my Ibs sad I have the same thing with the neighbouring tooth it feels very strange when I bite down on it, I suppose it's from the trauma of yanking out the tooth next to it? My biggest problem is worrying about food wedging in the hole which has been left confused

Reba0706 Wed 22-Mar-17 15:58:08

Yes I know what you mean. I am constantly checking my sockets in the mirror as the dentist says I have granulation now which looks like a light white covering so I'm always checking that's still intact and that I haven't disturbed it with my denture.
I think it's probably normal for the next tooth along to feel sore...I'd describe it as like a very badly bruised feeling but I'm crazy as I can't stop myself pressing it every so often to see if it still hurts (it always does), I finish my metronidazole tomorrow but that scares me as I'm convinced the infection will come back! I think I'm just hyper sensitive to things going wrong after months of tooth problems and then dry socket you start to get paranoid about everything. Sorry to hear you're still having the nerve pain....touch wood I haven't had that since Sunday but that really scares me as I worry that I could have nerve damage...I obviously don't but i am a googler and if you google shooting type nerve pain in teeth you get awful results about people who have longstanding neuralgia problems that are life changing and was all brought on by dental work! Googling is the absolute curse of the modern day! It's good to hear of someone else going through this even though it's horrible!

Snugglepalace Thu 23-Mar-17 14:03:19

Oh god yes, I really should stay away from Dr Google he is not my friend!! Discomfort better today. Lets hope we wont need any more extractions in the future. Fingers crossed!

Reba0706 Fri 24-Mar-17 06:56:17

I've had a night of panic as I found a hard section just in between my two extractions. I'm thinking it's a bone spur! It's just under the skin of my gum and is white and makes a hard tapping sound if I tap my nail on it. I'm back to the dentist today!!!

Snugglepalace Fri 24-Mar-17 10:21:07

Hope it goes well. I did read that the wound will take 3-4 weeks to heal properly and up to 6 months for the bone to heal!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now