Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

GPs or wait it out?

(35 Posts)
LouKout Wed 15-Mar-17 12:08:37

Am really bad at deciding whether to go to Dr so thought I would garner opinions.

We have all had a cold and cough but I seem worse than others. DD was quite poorly though.

I had tickly chest all last week then on Friday felt hot cold and dizzy.

On Sunday suddenly felt really dreadful..Dizzy, feverish and fluey.

Tried to go to work but couldnt manage. Since came home Monday have felt boiling hoqt (temp over 38) and had streaming head and coughing fits which are making me be sick. When woke this morning felt hot and cold and dizzy and quite out of it. Yesterday was breathless for a while. After coughing cheat feels reallt heavy and am exhausted.

Just flu or could i have a chest infection?

Do i need to drag self to GP or should i just take it easy.

LouKout Wed 15-Mar-17 12:13:19

Teeny bump

mortificado Wed 15-Mar-17 12:15:37

Can you get a call back from a gp? Sounds like a chest infection, which you'd need antibiotics for, hope you all feel better soon!

LouKout Wed 15-Mar-17 12:16:47

Yes..am wondering whether to do that or to wait and call first thing tomorrow.

Maybe will call them.

So indecisive smile

AntiQuitted Wed 15-Mar-17 12:20:41

I think with the breathlessness you should get yourself checked out.

LouKout Wed 15-Mar-17 12:21:07

Yes. That was only yesterday though, weirdly..

myoriginal3 Wed 15-Mar-17 12:22:28

Yes, time for the doctor.

BusterGonad Wed 15-Mar-17 12:25:14

Go to the doctors. Why wait? You've been suffering long enough.

LouKout Wed 15-Mar-17 12:28:58

I just phoned but typically...its engaged!

Will keep trying

LouKout Wed 15-Mar-17 12:31:49

Well. Got through.

Theyre closing at 1 so no appts. And none for the week. And none til the 24th.

Great service.

LouKout Wed 15-Mar-17 12:36:34

I phoned back to see if my symptoms would warrant an emergency appt if i called in morning but they switched phone off early.

tinytoucan Wed 15-Mar-17 12:37:17

I think sometimes they say that because they have to keep some free for on the day, so you could try tomorrow morning. Last week I called doc on Tues on to see if they had any apps for my son, none for 2 weeks. I called on weds morning and we were seen at 10:30. May have been coincidence but I think they only have a limited no of advance appointments they can offer.

LouKout Wed 15-Mar-17 12:38:43

I said it was urgent and she didnt even seem interested.

I could have had anything..pretty shocked at their lack of care tbh. And am usually very happy with the practice.

myoriginal3 Wed 15-Mar-17 12:45:18

I've posted at some length about my recent experience with this dose so I won't repeat myself at length but in summary, I had your symptoms but took MN advice and didn't dare consider bothering A&E. I quickly worsened over the course of the second day, almost fainting, too weak to pull blanket over me, in pain in my chest (though not excruciating).

Long story short, ambulance was called and I was blue-lighted to Resus. I ended up in a coma? for 2 weeks in ICU with organ failure and ARDS.

I think it was pneumonia and/or sepsis and some other godawful combination of diseases!

Please keep a watchful eye on yourself. Fainting etc...? Wary. Elevated pulse? Wary.

Please don't risk it if you go downhill rapidly. Had I heeded the usual MN advice here, I would be dead.

LouKout Wed 15-Mar-17 12:46:59

Thanks. I appreciate that. Sorry you had to go through that.

I just did NHS 24 symptom checker and it said "call GP within next 4 hours"

myoriginal3 Wed 15-Mar-17 12:49:05

They really should update their advice to 'SEE a doctor within next 4 hours'.
'Calling' a GP is not much bloody use unless you fancy a chat!

LouKout Wed 15-Mar-17 12:51:07

Yes especially when they pretty much hang up grin

LouKout Wed 15-Mar-17 12:56:49

I dont have energy to do much more today i think.

myoriginal3 Wed 15-Mar-17 12:57:43

The other symptoms were that on the first day I had a very mucusy (?) cough. Second day I was shallow breathing, but felt that my lungs were better!

And my entire body became sore to touch, like stinging really.

When ambulance arrived my BP was 80/40 (nearing organ shut-down), my pulse was 143 and my blood sugar was 2.1 (result of vomiting for 2 days I guess).

Just please don't be a martyr if you inherently feel there's something wrong.

LouKout Wed 15-Mar-17 12:59:42

I wont be, honestly. Glad you got through it and hope you are fully recovered now

myoriginal3 Wed 15-Mar-17 13:00:17

Yes, the exhaustion was overwhelming. I was thinking of posting a thread such as yours at the time but I literally didn't have the energy to pick up the phone and type. Probably just as well as I may have been told to sleep and rest.

myoriginal3 Wed 15-Mar-17 13:01:56

Yes, fully recovered now I think.

LouKout Wed 15-Mar-17 13:02:20

Yes am not quite that bad. Feek grim though

myoriginal3 Wed 15-Mar-17 13:05:28

Hope you've a milder dose than I. And I'll reiterate - 101 if you feel worse or are worried.

Get well soon.

LouKout Wed 15-Mar-17 13:14:17

Thanks smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now