Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Thyroid results - help please??

(9 Posts)
Freezingwinter Wed 15-Mar-17 09:33:32

Back in 2015 I had some hair loss and the gp ran a shed load of blood tests. The result was I was started on iron and vit d. Someone also said my thyroid was borderline and to repeat in September. No one ever booked me an appt so I asked and got my thuroid repeated.. So I was told. Now I'm getting hair loss again i went back to the gp and she said that actually the borderline result was never repeated. She said the T4 was 0.469 and it was either high or low. Can anyone tell me more? I don't know what the normal range is? I'm having repeat bloods this Friday. Thanks!

Pleasemrstweedie Wed 15-Mar-17 13:29:33

If you check exactly what that result is and what the reference range is, with your surgery and then re-post, someone will help you. Without knowing what this result is and what the reference range is, I'm afraid the figure on its own means nothing. A lot of the dark art of interpreting blood test results is based on where in the reference range the figure falls.

Freezingwinter Wed 15-Mar-17 13:43:31

They wouldn't give me the reference range, but on the screen it looked wildly out of range (shown on a graph thing)
I do know my Tsh was normal though

Freezingwinter Wed 15-Mar-17 16:42:10

Just spoke to receptionist at the gp

My tsh level was 0.479
T4 was 11.3 which is too low

Anyone know what low t4 means?

Pleasemrstweedie Wed 15-Mar-17 19:39:38

Low TSH and low FT4 usually means secondary hypothyroidism for which the NICE guidelines say you should have a referral to an endocrinologist. What's your GP doing?

Oh, and you're entitled to those reference ranges. Ask the practice manager for a print out,

Freezingwinter Wed 15-Mar-17 20:03:12

Is that low tsh then? The levels I found online (not good I know) said 0.4 was normal and mines just over

This was in July and September 2015!!

They were meant to repeat it but didn't

They're being repeated again Friday

Why do you need to see an endocrine Dr? And what is secondary hypothyroidism??

Freezingwinter Wed 15-Mar-17 20:08:21

I have just googled and am scared witless now sad

SaltyMyDear Wed 15-Mar-17 20:15:10

I also have a borderline low thyroid.

I'm currently treating it with my nutritionist. Started with going gluten free, and waiting for fuller blood test results to decide what else to do.

My nutritionist is very confident that we can treat this without drugs. So I'm certainly going to give this route a decent try......

Freezingwinter Wed 15-Mar-17 20:16:54

Thanks for your reply

Good luck! Let me know how you get on?

I thought my tsh was normal and only my t4 was low, it was 5 months post partum and I was bf if that makes any difference?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now