Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Flu?? Or bad cold?? Single mum struggling

(9 Posts)
midnightswirls Wed 15-Mar-17 07:36:22

I feel awful! My symptoms started Sunday afternoon and on Monday I felt like I was hit by a bus! Aches, temperature, cough, stuffy nose, chills. I'm suppose to be going away tomorrow but I don't know if I'm well enough. In people's experience how long did this kind of thing last for you? I feel a bit better than yesterday

Shakey15000 Wed 15-Mar-17 07:39:34

flowers

For me, full on flu lasted about 2weeks and I could hardly lift my head off the pillow. Had to get parents to take DS as DH was working away. Only got up to replenish drinks and the toilet. It's different for everyone really. Hope you feel better soon.

midnightswirls Wed 15-Mar-17 07:51:38

Maybe it's not flu then and just a really bad cold. I just hope I'm better for going away tomorrow

Comps83 Wed 15-Mar-17 20:26:43

I think there are varying degrees of colds and then there is flu. I've only had flu once about 13 years ago and I honestly thought I might die, I didn't eat for a solid week and was hallucinating and all sorts. Mind I've had bad colds which have almost bordered on flu but only you know if you're fit enough or not.

ThaliaLuxurySpa Wed 15-Mar-17 21:00:03

My DM, a nurse, always recommends the £50 test to decide whether bad cold or flu:

If there was a £50 note on the floor, in the furthest corner of your room, right now, and it will disappear after 5 minutes, would you

(a) heave yourself slowly out of bed, groaning, clutching head, wobble over to pick it up, then collapse back under the duvet?

or

(b) not give a flying fuck because you're too busy being at Death's Door?

If (b), you've got flu...

Seriously, though, I'm sorry you're suffering and hope it passes ASAP.
Either way, going away tomorrow sounds a bit ambitious, if you're feeling that rough. Is travelling far involved?
flowers<---get well flowers for you x

midnightswirls Wed 15-Mar-17 22:07:47

It is just a bad cold. I'm starting to feel better just dosed up on medicine and managed to get some decent sleep. I did consider not going away but I think I'll be OK as long as I keep taking the medicine smile thanks for your advice x

NameChanger22 Wed 15-Mar-17 22:14:48

I've had flu 3 times, each time it lasted a month and each time I thought I was going to die. I couldn't eat anything for weeks, I could hardly walk, could hardly breath etc.

If you are considering going away, you probably don't have flu. Hope you get well soon.

Last time I had a bad cold it got better, then a day or so later I was hit with flu. Take care of yourself.

Shakey15000 Wed 15-Mar-17 22:20:56

Comps Ye Gads yes to the hallucinations! WTF are they about?? I actually didn't know what month it was never mind the day/time, it all kind of fudged into some psychedelic blur.

Comps83 Thu 16-Mar-17 06:25:55

I know. I thought Sadam Hussein had sent fighter jets to bomb us.

As for the money test though, I'm so money grabbing I'd probably drag myself out of bed if I'd had both legs amputated

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now