Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Anyone had a smear test recently?

(16 Posts)
Comps83 Tue 14-Mar-17 16:59:41

If so how long did you wait for the results as it's been three weeks and I'm sick of rushing home to nothing and I don't remember waiting this long before. Starting to stress me out.

imelda3 Tue 14-Mar-17 17:04:19

Had one this morning - my surgery said to phone them (not screeners) if I hadn't heard within 2 weeks. Maybe give the surgery a call?

MrsEricBana Tue 14-Mar-17 17:07:22

Had mine last week. She said letter in about 2 weeks. Yes just ring surgery.

Comealongpond89 Tue 14-Mar-17 17:11:08

Had one about 2 months ago. Think I got the results in less than 2 weeks. Your surgery should be able to let you know what's going on

Comps83 Tue 14-Mar-17 17:15:59

Aw now I'm really worried. Think I'll give it a few more days. Just can't face the thought of ringing them about this , for some reason I'd rather get the bad news via letter than over the phone. I had a bad feeling about this before even making the appointment.

NomDePlumeReloaded Tue 14-Mar-17 17:16:03

My results were within 2 weeks. It can depend on where you are in the country. Some areas have longer waits than others. Definitely call your surgery if you are concerned.

Ammelou Tue 14-Mar-17 17:17:32

I'm in Wales and got my results in just under 2 weeks but they did say 2-4 when I had it done.

OhDearToby Tue 14-Mar-17 17:17:49

Bad news would come quickly. I had abnormal cells once and got the letter much faster than I normally do.

gingeristhenewblack43 Tue 14-Mar-17 17:18:58

Had mine today and was told that if I hadn't heard anything by 3 weeks to ring my GP surgery. The nurse also said that if there were dodgy cells in the result I'd probs get a letter with a hospital appt within 2 weeks as they are really quick to send them out.

Obsidian77 Tue 14-Mar-17 17:19:24

Had one a couple of months back, think it took 3 weeks. Might depend on your Health Authority.

Comps83 Tue 14-Mar-17 17:21:43

Cool. I'll keep my fingers crossed. My abnormal results deffo came quicker than this , I'm sure I got them in about a week.

imelda3 Tue 14-Mar-17 17:37:08

I really would ring rather than worry! (I'm a busy boots Iknow....)

NotTheBelleoftheBall Tue 14-Mar-17 17:40:33

I'm in exactly the same situation, the nurse mentioned something about results within a week, we're now firmly in week two. I called the doc yesterday and they haven't received the results at their end yet either - I'm giving it another few days before I call again.

MrsJasonStatham Tue 14-Mar-17 18:52:53

Hi ladies
I don't know what area you're all in but I'm a practice nurse and I've recently been told to tell ladies up to a 6-8 week wait for results as so inundated with smears x

Chocolate1985 Tue 14-Mar-17 19:59:11

I'm in Scotland and got told 6 weeks but I sympathise so much OP I stressed over going and now worrying about results

DottyGiraffe Tue 14-Mar-17 22:49:20

I was told usually within a week (last one definitely was) but currently they were taking a couple of weeks......it took 6 weeks exactly! Interestingly the wording has changed. Mine have always stated that the sample "is normal". Now it says "looks normal". My first thought was "well are you sure or not?!" but then figured it's just a way of covering themselves.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now