Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Vitamin D and insufficiency

(8 Posts)
IVFNewbie Mon 13-Mar-17 10:38:05

Hi all. Has anyone got any experience with this?

I have recently had a vitamin D test and it was 57 nmol/l. I have been told this is low. My symptoms are tiredness and aching muscles and joints. Do these sound like typical symptoms? Has anyone had any experiences like these?

I have been put on Adcal D3 , 2 tabs a day.

Thanks!

Funnyonion17 Mon 13-Mar-17 10:43:42

Yes sounds typical. Aswell as low mood etc

NolongerAnxiousCarer Mon 13-Mar-17 10:56:06

A normal level ofvitamin Dis defined as a 25(OH)Dconcentration greater than 30 ng/mL (75nmol/L).Vitamin Dinsufficiency is defined as a 25(OH)Dconcentration of 20 to 30 ng/mL (50 to 75nmol/L).Vitamin D deficiencyis defined as a 25(OH)Dlevel less than 20 ng/mL (50nmol/L). (From www.uptodate.com)

My recent blood test was 19 nmol/l I'm tired all the time and recovering from PTSD and low vit D is linked to anxiety and depression. I've not noticed aching in particular, but apparently aching joints is common as are weak hip and shoulder muscles. I've been put on 40000IU D3 a week, but my levels are much lower that yours.

IVFNewbie Mon 13-Mar-17 12:32:17

Thanks Carer, for the info... best of luck to you! I think my mood is somewhat low too.

littleducks Mon 13-Mar-17 12:42:03

My level was 4 blush so I'm hoping to perk up with supplements

Racmactac Mon 13-Mar-17 13:05:20

Mine came back as 52 and was told this was above the adequate level. I still think it's on low side so am taking some supplements.

Pleasemrstweedie Mon 13-Mar-17 13:36:13

So the AdCal will give you 800iu a day, in chalky tablet form.

Vitamin D is fat soluble, so you actually need a softgel to get the most benefit, something like this www.amazon.co.uk/Doctors-Vitamin-Softgel-Capsules-180-Count/dp/B00OVMGUL6?tag=mumsnetforum-21 and take it with this www.amazon.co.uk/Jarrow-MK-7-90mcg-60-Softgels/dp/B0013OVVFA/ref=pd_bxgy_121_img_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=HEFWGMEJSV6P0TYBATBD&tag=mumsnetforum-21 to get calcium into your bones.

Vitamin D ranges are set low for some reason. You really need to double your current level for it to be optimal.

IVFNewbie Tue 14-Mar-17 14:27:34

I guess i will try and be patient and see if the adcal works.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now