Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Itchy spots in a delicate area

(25 Posts)
Wiifitmama Sun 12-Mar-17 21:52:24

Not really sure how to describe this, but definitely need some advice!

A week ago I started getting an itch at the front opening of my vagina - sort of where the labia majora meet together at the top. No discharge or anything else. I assumed maybe it was thrush externally so I started putting canistan cream on. It didnt really help. The itching comes and goes during the day. Sometimes intense, sometimes not at all. Anyway, this morning in the shower when washing, I noticed that there were spots all along the edge of the labia majora on both sides. Just sort of where the hair stops before it ends up inside. Quite itchy. So I went to the chemist who really didnt know what to give me. I ended up with vagisil cream to help the itching.

I don't think it is thrush. I am not prone to it and I don't think it causes spots. It feels more like an allergic itch. I have googled and am none the wiser. I know I should go to the doctor but getting an appointment is so difficult. It is not an emergency and I can wait two weeks for an appointment.

So any thoughts on what it might be??

highinthesky Sun 12-Mar-17 21:55:56

You know the answer OP, don't wait for a fortnight but get yourself to a GUM clinic asap.

And use a barrier method if you have sex.

QueenMortificado Sun 12-Mar-17 21:57:37

Herpes?

Shaving rash?

terrylene Sun 12-Mar-17 21:58:13

caredownthere.com.au/_pages/normal_lumps.html

Might be of help.

I got itchy around there when my oestrogen levels started dropping - mid 40s. Drove me mad. The spots may be what is there normally, but look worse with the itching?

coolaschmoola Sun 12-Mar-17 21:58:45

Sounds like genital warts...

Wiifitmama Sun 12-Mar-17 22:01:23

I am 100% sure it is not a STD. I have been only with my husband since teen years and he has never given me any cause to think he has strayed.

It is not shaving rash I I don't shave there though I do trim the hairs.

I am mid 40's and definitely pre menopausal and my hormones are all over the place. The rash appeared during a period in fact so hormones could definitely be an issue. Very interesting link - thank you.

BonnyScotland Sun 12-Mar-17 22:09:52

you should really get an STD screening .... if even to eliminate all possibilities .. then you can take it from there...

alternatively... take an intimate photo.. and do a search on the online images...

good luck x

Wiifitmama Sun 12-Mar-17 22:11:00

Just got my husband to have a close look for me. He says the spots are just flesh coloured. Not very red and certainly not any other colour. Just spot like - not warty or blistered.

Rickandmorty Sun 12-Mar-17 22:12:45

It could be herpes. It can lie dormant for years. I'd go to the doctors or GUM and get them to look. Herpes looks like bumps, not blisters.

Earlybird Sun 12-Mar-17 22:15:25

Have you recently changed soap, body wash, loo roll brand or laundry detergent? Wondering if something external is causing the irritation.

Wiifitmama Sun 12-Mar-17 22:18:26

I did ask myself those questions too but no, I haven't changed any of those. However, I do wear a daily pad as I have always had (since teen years) some discharge. I use always pads and they are now scented. I did not react to them when they first started scenting them but I wonder if I have become sensitive to them?

IvyLeagueUnderTheSea Sun 12-Mar-17 22:18:32

Watching with interest as I get the exact same problem op.

I found that using sanitary towels made is worse. Changed to washable and it got much better.
I was tested for all STDs and have had a zillion doctors up there due to fertility treatment.
I have never had it properly looked at.

bobs123 Sun 12-Mar-17 22:20:34

Could be an allergy or hormone related. Have you tried applying live natural yoghurt? It's a home remedy and should at least sooth any itching. It helps to wear a pad!

IvyLeagueUnderTheSea Sun 12-Mar-17 22:20:46

Just read your post that crossed with mine. Please consider changing to washables.
So much better for your fanjo, pocket and the environment.

Wiifitmama Sun 12-Mar-17 22:23:26

By the way, I am not ignoring those that are mentioning STD's. Really, there is just no risk it could be that. However, I have googled each and every suggestion including herpes and my spots and symptoms just do not match any of them.

I am definitely leaning towards either hormones or pads or a combination of both. I will get some unscented pads tomorrow if I can and see if that helps. I did use washables once many years ago and would consider it again. Right now, it is not an option, as we are temporarily living with a relative while we have construction work going on so I can't was them in someone else's machine.

gamerchick Sun 12-Mar-17 22:23:57

Ah man yanno it sucks being a woman! Periods, PMT and then raging horn with itchy bits before menopause.

I want off me angry

Sorry OP please come back if you find out what it is and how to sort it flowers

Nearlyhadenough Sun 12-Mar-17 22:41:14

I spent about 2 years getting very itchy for a few days maybe a week, then it being ok for a while. I couldn't really see anything, but could occasionally feel a small flat spot.

Itching coincided at times with using bubble bath (and bath time is me time, so I spend lots of time soaking!), so that's what I blamed , at first. Then I thought I had thrush so bought some over the counter cream, which sort of stopped a bit of itching but not much.

Then, about 6 months ago, I had a really bad week or so - and on inspection the whole area was white.... it was shocking. Off to doctor who diagnosed Lichen Schlerosis.

Mine was very advanced, I should have been seen a lot earlier, I just thought it was an allergy/reaction. I am 47 and its probably a period menopausal/auto-immune thing.

Go to you doctor and get checked out.

sadie9 Sun 12-Mar-17 23:24:45

Go to GP. Could be localised eczema there. I have a patch down there. I have a tube of Betnovate ointment from the doc that stops it straightaway. Mine could get 'spots' or raised bits. It could come up in a kind of welt either, probably because the scratching makes it worse. It just suddenly started happening a good few years ago. Scented pads, conditioner, shower stuff, triggers it, as well as hormones and drinking alcohol sometimes. Canesten doesn't help mine at all makes it worse. It's gotten better over the years and I have the same tube of ointment about 7yrs now, as you only need a tiny bit.

Wiifitmama Mon 13-Mar-17 08:28:43

Sadie - that is interesting as I am having a flare up of excema on another part of my body right now. It hadn't occurred to me it could be excema.

BonnyScotland Tue 14-Mar-17 19:06:45

have you had it checked yet... is all okay x

Wiifitmama Wed 15-Mar-17 20:02:58

Not yet. I did make an appointment but as I thought, it is a two week wait to see the GP.

Heatherjayne1972 Thu 16-Mar-17 20:33:58

Could be lichen planus
If it is antihistamines are your friend along with coconut oil used like a cream several times a day
I had to stop using soap in bath or shower and wash my hair over the sink ( soap makes it worse )
And sounds weird but putting porridge oats in the bath instead of bubble bath really soothes it

Wiifitmama Mon 27-Mar-17 12:21:09

Update! Finally saw the GP this morning. She took a good look. She agreed it is just an allergic type reaction and has prescribed hydrocortisone. Thanks everyone.

shirleycartersaidso Tue 28-Mar-17 16:37:58

I had this from Always pads since they starting adding bloody scent to them.

Wiifitmama Tue 28-Mar-17 21:12:53

Yes, I am definitely blaming the Always pads for this. I am now wearing cotton ones (there are a few brands out there) and it is much better.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now