Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Unable to urinate

(47 Posts)
mowgelijeffs Sun 12-Mar-17 12:42:13

Hi there,
I've called 111 who booked me an out of hour appointment at 545
I was wondering if anyone can advise me before then/
I've been in a lot of pain since Friday with what I think are kidney stones.
I thought it was appendicitis because of where he pain was. It was getting progressively worse.
I feel on the floor and my husband called an ambulance. I took tramadol co codamol and ibuprofen. They administered entonox. They said the hospital was very busy so I decided to stay at home and try to pass the stone.
I have struggled to urinate since last night. Passing only roughly a tea spoon at a time. It's like I don't have the muscles to push the wee out?
I'm now shaking uncontrollably and I am a bit frightened. My husband is out with my son. I know this isn't the place but has anyone got any advice ? Do you think I need an ambulance?

coolaschmoola Sun 12-Mar-17 12:44:08

If you can't get your dh back to take you to hospital by car, then yes.

Ilikesweetpeas Sun 12-Mar-17 12:44:10

Have you got a friend who could come round and be with you? You sound very poorly and you clearly need medical assistance. I hope you get some resolution to this soon

bananaskin123 Sun 12-Mar-17 12:45:14

Oh you poor thing. Yes please ring for an ambulance. You really do need to get to hospital asap. Call your husband just so he knows.

RainbowCake Sun 12-Mar-17 12:45:32

Another 5 hours to go without urinating is a long time!
Is the appointment within a&e? It sounds like you may have to be catherterised.
I wouldn't call an ambulance if you can get to a&e yourself.
Good luck

mowgelijeffs Sun 12-Mar-17 12:46:13

No I don't have any friends that could come to help me. My husbands mum lives around the corner I wonder if I should ask her to come it's just I don't feel like talking to anyone and she will probably try to sit with me. I want to be alone.
The doctor said shaking could be an infection but she didn't say oh you are so sick I'll call you an ambulance. I can take a taxi the hospital but I'll need to stop and get cash and to be honest I don't feel able to do that

mowgelijeffs Sun 12-Mar-17 12:46:55

I'll ask my husband to come home

Libitina Sun 12-Mar-17 12:47:06

YOu need immediate medical care. If your DH can't take you to A&E now ring 111 again and explain that things have deteriorated since your earlier call.

Fayrazzled Sun 12-Mar-17 12:47:43

I think you need to go to hospital. Not being able to pass urine can be a sign of sepsis. If you are own your own call an ambulance. Tell them you are worried you might have sepsis.

Cocolepew Sun 12-Mar-17 12:49:16

Either get your DH home or phone an ambulance.
I phoned my dr once to say I hadn't peed for 24 hours and she called an ambulance. I felt fine and you don't.

identityhidden Sun 12-Mar-17 13:00:44

You have to go to hospital, by ambulance if necessary - I've had this twice due to medications and needed catheterised both times. GP said second time if it happens again and it's out of hours, severe pain and can't walk properly (as was the case when she saw me) , to call 999.

Hope you get sorted soon flowers

mowgelijeffs Sun 12-Mar-17 13:21:18

My husband is on his way home I spoke to 111 again they were so obstructive they put words into my mouth and their triage doesn't work.
They were asking if I took any medication and when I said I took amytriptaline they said ok. Then later on he asked if I took pain relief I said I had and said it was tramadol and co codamol. Then he said oh so you do take more medication. I said no I think a miscomunifation I have taken it I don't take it regularly: then he asked if it was prescribed to me and what for!! They kept asking me what symptom was worse I don't know I'm in pieces: I just wanted to see a doctor sooner. Then I said I was going and then he called me back to tell me off for hanging up on him!!!
He said I can call you an ambulance if that what you feel you need... he was saying it like I'm a waste of time:
Husband home now xxxx

Wolpertinger Sun 12-Mar-17 13:23:04

Stop ringing 111 and get your husband to take you to A+E NOW

Cocolepew Sun 12-Mar-17 13:42:10

No more 111 go to A&E now.

RJnomore1 Sun 12-Mar-17 13:50:55

Straight to a and e it's classed as a medical emergency

lougle Sun 12-Mar-17 16:08:13

* mowgelijeffs* Do you need someone to tell you that you need to go to hospital? Lots of people do feel like that. You need to go to the hospital.

If you can't pass urine, but are producing urine, your bladder is obstructed and must be drained.

So you need to either get a lift to A&E, a taxi to A&E, or an ambulance to A&E.

mowgelijeffs Sun 12-Mar-17 16:24:53

With a massive effort I've done one ok wee. And then a few teaspoons.
I've been able to get dribbles out. I think a stone might be blocking it.
111 were fucking useless. I'm so irritated by the service. I don't want to sit in a&e for hours in pain because it's so uncomfy and cold there. It's better at home. They always make me feel guilty for ringing or saying I'm sick. They try to put words in your mouth that you're ok.

I've got an appointment at 545 with a doctor at the hospital so if I need a catheter they can do that there.
I've had a lot of kidney problems in the past.
This is so shit.
Sorry to be such a moan.

lougle Sun 12-Mar-17 17:03:20

Can you arrive early? They may see you sooner.

identityhidden Sun 12-Mar-17 18:15:23

I recognise your username now! Did you and I 'meet' when I was in a similar situation to you a couple of months ago? Hope you're alright and don't worry about moaning, what mn is for xx

Mooey89 Sun 12-Mar-17 18:18:05

When I had sepsis I didn't urinate for 20 hours and I couldn't stop shaking.
Call an ambulance OP.

Footle Sun 12-Mar-17 20:10:37

Are you ok, OP?

TryAnotherUsername Sun 12-Mar-17 20:20:37

Oh ffs!!

You needed an ambulance when you first posted!!!

People told you to ring an ambulance yet you wanted to wait for your appointment instead of a&e because you don't like it??? confused

Why did you even post??

I really hope your ok OP!!!

(Sorry my dad has just died from sepsis after being unable to urinate for hours!! You don't mess about with these things!)

lougle Sun 12-Mar-17 20:38:38

I'm sorry your Dad died Try. It must be horrible to read a thread like this. The OP said her appointment was at the hospital, though, and it was an hour after her last post, so perhaps she thought that it would be just as quick to go there as attending A&E, by the time she was booked in and triaged? If the doctor at the hospital feels she needs urgent care, he will send her around to A&E anyway.

mowgelijeffs Sun 12-Mar-17 20:57:21

Hi ladies,

Thanks for your concern. I'm back from hospital. It's not sepsis it's a suspected stone obstructing my ureter. I've been prescribed medicine to relax my bladder, some anti emetics and some laxatives as well to go with the tramadol and codeine to stop me being constipated. They wanted me to have a scan tonight and I said I'll go in the morning because I wanted to be at home with my son.
I've managed to do a wee normally now although the stream isn't a good flow it's better then it was.
I'm feeling more comfortable. I was so scared earlier. The shaking was probably down to the pain (that's what the GP said) he did say if I have another attack of pain it's a straight to a&e job with an ambulance.
I was made to feel like it wasn't a big deal and I was being dramatic by the 111 team but the gp reassured me massively and said that I absolutely had a case. He even called the urology team to assess me and they recognised my name from my pregnancy.
Identity hidden... I'm not sure? Where do you think we met? I am in Margate xxxx

mowgelijeffs Sun 12-Mar-17 20:59:16

Try , yes it's exactly as Lou said. I thought it would be just as quick to see a doctor in the hospital who could whip me right round to a&e if I needed help.
He was really kind and supportive. What a crap weekend. I hope my husband and I get some sleep tonight. It brings back horrendous memories of when I was pregnant x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now