Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Sinusitis remedies

(11 Posts)
Joneseygirl77 Sat 11-Mar-17 07:51:00

Can anyone provide any remedies for sinusitis? I am so blocked up and have horrendous pressure build up. Tried inhalations and Sudafed but it's not really helping. It's worse at night and I'm struggling to sleep.

GoodyGoodyGumdrops Sat 11-Mar-17 08:19:42

Off-the-shelf Sudafed does nothing for me. Ask at the counter for pseudoephedrine, own-brand is fine.

Drink plenty of tea or water. Keep yourself well-hydrated.

Can you get someone to give you a good face, scalp and neck massage? I don't know why, but this really helps. Perhaps it just relaxes you, but I'm sure it eases the pressure.

A friend once practiced reflexology on me, and suddenly my nose started running... Worth a try?

Canadalife Sat 11-Mar-17 08:24:46

Many years of sinus problems....my top tips...

Steam your head...v old fashioned, but works or failing that hot cloth or water bottle on head

Sinus drainage massage...on YouTube...various....really works..esp in combination with heat.

Dr once told me to use nasel spray decongestant...but you bend forward and sort of spray it up your nose so that the spray is directed up and does all run down out of your nose...

Hope you feel better soon

DoraChance Sat 11-Mar-17 09:50:34

I had a horrible sinus infection last year and found steam more effective than anything. I also found the kids calpol nose spray more soothing than sudafed.

Gerijrich Sat 11-Mar-17 14:28:57

I have this problem now nastycold bug going round. Spoke to pharmacist who sold me a spray for rinsing out nose said better than decongestants. Steam with menthol crystals is good too xxx

bananafish81 Sat 11-Mar-17 15:01:25

Ephedrine nasal drops

You have to ask the pharmacist for them and many won't stock them as they are essentially liquid speed

Boots def won't but an independent chemist might (or might order them for you, as my local did)

Go like shit off a shovel but if regular pseudo ephedrine isn't touching the sides, it's the business. Tip from a GP mate when I had such awful sinusitis I couldn't move my head without screaming

Cailleach Sat 11-Mar-17 15:04:11

Neti pot - boil water, add sea salt (NOT salt containing iodine or anti-caking agents!) allow to cool then hang head over sink and pour up nostrils. Brilliant, works like a charm.

helenfagain Sat 11-Mar-17 15:06:28

Neilsmed sinus rinse, horrid but works a treat.

Pimmmms Sat 11-Mar-17 15:23:29

Fenugreeek capsules from a health food store. I had long term sinusitis which was treated with prescription nasal sprays but was never able to be cured.

Fenugreek made it tolerable by clearing the sinuses out, and eventually (several years, but I had already suffered for over a decade) it completely cleared up.

Joneseygirl77 Sat 11-Mar-17 16:57:25

Thanks all.

I couldn't get any either ephedrine in Sainsbury's pharmacy but I did manage to get some nasal spray which has helped. Just had to take DD to her swimming lesson and the humidity in the pool has helped a lot!

notsohot Sun 12-Mar-17 09:17:59

Glad you are feeling better.
Humidity is good for sinusitis. I have found using one of those oil burners with tea lights helpful to keep your surroundings humid.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now