Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Partial Ingrown Toenail Removal

(43 Posts)
WinterRose92 Fri 10-Mar-17 17:10:31

Hi, I've suffered with an ingrown toenail for a few years, and have been able to live with it but it has gotten worse to the point where if anything even brushes it, it kills! It's awful painful and I've had it looked at and I have to have it partially removed at my GP's at the end of the month.

I'm glad I'm having it sorted as the pain is so severe, I can't take it anymore but I just want to know if you've had it done how it went, how painful was it after whilst healing, etc. Also, whereabouts did they inject the anaesthetic? Random question but I was just wondering. Oh and also how long it took to heal.

Thanks!

PinkSparklyPussyCat Fri 10-Mar-17 17:37:08

I had mine done years ago. I don't remember it being too painful while it was healing, it sort of ached when the anaesthetic wore off. I had to wear sandals for a while as it was tender. The injection was in or around the toe and, being the wimp that I am (and very, very needle phobic) I used magic cream before hand!

This is my rather spectacular bandage...

Comps83 Fri 10-Mar-17 17:41:47

I had both mine done in 2011 , you should be ok if a professional is doing it but I was referred to a training place for mine and omg what a nightmare! Glad I did it though as I had suffered for years and now they are fine. Well worth it.

motheroreily Fri 10-Mar-17 17:45:09

I had it done last year. The injection wasn't nice but I'm so glad I had it done.

I was the same if anyone ever brushed my foot I was in agony and I could only wear soft shoes and after a day at work I was dragging my foot.

I think I kept the big bandage on for a couple of days and then you take it off but have small gauze on it.

Honestly the injection was worth it

LIZS Fri 10-Mar-17 17:47:15

Watching with interest as ds is having the same at the end of the month. He doesn't seem to anticipate being off his feet. How long was it before it was comfortable to walk on?

Punksparkle Fri 10-Mar-17 17:56:14

I am a podiatrist and you would be better to get the procedure done by a podiatrist only as we do many of them, and have a very low regrowth rate. The local anaesthetic is given on each side of the toe. It is not nice but not agony either. You will feel some pulling during the procedure but it should not be painful. The podiatrist will Then take a small sliver of nail away from the whole length of the nail including under the cuticle.. a chemical called phenol will be rubbed into the nail bed. This burns the cells that make nail so it will not regrow. A dry dressing will be put on and the toe checked a few days later. You will have to do some salt foot baths after a few days. It takes 4-6 weeks to heal as you have had a chemical burn. Hope this helps you

WinterRose92 Fri 10-Mar-17 18:22:20

Ha ha, PinkSparklyPussyCat, thanks for the pic! 😂 Just hoping the weather isn't too bad seeing as I'll be wearing flip flops/sandels for a while!

WinterRose92 Fri 10-Mar-17 18:27:01

Wow, thanks for the replies, everyone, I'm feeling a lot better about it, now! I'm not great with needles (though I have got better with them, having vaccines and blood tests throughout my pregnancy and giving birth 12 weeks ago!) So am a little nervous but I know it will be worth it. I figured any pain after can't be much worse than what I'm feeling now. There's an end in sight! That's if it doesn't grow back, fingers crossed!
Thanks for all your help, everyone, I really appreciate it 😊

pinkmagic1 Fri 10-Mar-17 18:27:37

I had mine done years ago. They injected around the nail and then cut a sliver away either side. I remember it being a little sore after but compared to the throbbing of the ingrown nails (both big toes) the relief was immediate. Like a previous poster mentioned I had to wear sandals for a while.
I had mine done as an outpatient at the hospital and surprised it is being done at the gp's Burlton like I said my procedure was over 20 years ago.

Doyouthinktheysaurus Fri 10-Mar-17 18:30:45

I had it done in 2001, such a relief after years of pain and being robbed off.

Ds1 had an ingrowing toenail this summer and was fixed by a very painful trip to a lovely podiatrist. He essentially just dug out the ingrowing bit of nail, because we caught it quickly, it was less invasive.

When I had mine done it never even occurred to me I could get it fixed privately but I'd definitely do that if I suffered again. Quicker and not prohibitively expensive.

LIZS Fri 10-Mar-17 18:31:58

Thanks punksparkle. That sounds as described to ds, apart from 4-6 weeks to heal(not telling him that just yet!). He's seeing a podiatrist at the hospital.

WinterRose92 Fri 10-Mar-17 18:38:13

pinkmagic1 Yeah, I can imagine the relief will be immediate as it just hurts so much and constantly. I know it'll be sore after but so worth it. I'm on edge if anyone is around my feet, scared they are going to step on my toe, which has happened a few times!
The GP who is doing it does it every Monday morning at the surgery. Maybe to keep numbers down at the hospital? He said it will be over in about 15 - 20 mins, and it's early in the morning, so I'm glad I won't be waiting around for it!

PerspicaciaTick Fri 10-Mar-17 18:39:32

I had mine done 18 years ago. There is no sign of it growing back and I sort of wish they had done the other big toe while they were at it as the one I had done is much nicer to look at.
Do make sure that you are given proper aftercare advice - mine was a bit shit and meant that healing was slower than necessary.

PerspicaciaTick Fri 10-Mar-17 18:41:12

(and mine was done at my GPs by a peripatetic nail amputator who travelled the district seeking out the lame and ouchy).

WinterRose92 Fri 10-Mar-17 18:42:44

LIZS How old is your son? When is he having it done? Mine's on 27th. I just keep thinking, once it's healed its going to feel so good, especially after reading people's replies on here about the relief after! Kind of looking forward to it!

Doyouthinktheysaurus Fri 10-Mar-17 18:44:23

fobbed off Fucking autocorrect grin

WinterRose92 Fri 10-Mar-17 18:46:43

PerspicaciaTick I know what you mean, my toe looks awful at the moment! My other toe is okay, hope it stays that way. But if it happens to my other toe I know I'll get it sorted much quicker, I won't ever let it get like this again!

WinterRose92 Fri 10-Mar-17 18:50:52

Doyouthinktheysaurus 😂 I knew what you meant! And I agree, if it happened again, it's a good idea to get it sorted with a podiatrist. I didn't think of it, though!

LIZS Fri 10-Mar-17 20:23:43

19. Not uncommon in that age group apparently. It recently got infected and took me ages to get him to see someone about it but fortunately only had 6 weeks from gp to op. Even that might be because he will be away for a week.

WinterRose92 Fri 10-Mar-17 20:41:55

LIZS Apparently it's really common. I'm 25 next week, but I think I must have been around your son's age when I first began getting problems and it was really hardly anything at first but over time had become really bad. Mine got infected, too, I wish I had got it looked at earlier. Glad I'm on maternity at the moment to rest my foot for a day or two, though. Hope it goes well for him!

Pleasemrstweedie Fri 10-Mar-17 20:50:58

I had one of mine done three years ago. It was done first thing on Monday morning. I walked home from the clinic in Fitflops and with a dressing on, I was back at work the next day, in shoes and socks (it was January) and without the dressing. My walk to work and back is three miles.

I made sure I kept it clean for the next couple of weeks and
I've never had any trouble since.

BobbinThreadbare123 Fri 10-Mar-17 20:55:14

Do it! I had mine done with the phenol etc when I was about 12 and it's been good for twenty years so far. Such a relief! Both big toes. Nice podiatrist did it.

UnlikelyRunner Fri 10-Mar-17 21:02:32

The relief is amazing. I had both my big toes done under general anaesthetic as they were in a particularly horrendous state. Afterwards I was so happy (might have been the painkillers!). 17 years later one of the toenails is still missing but I don't care, as nothing hurts.

WinterRose92 Fri 10-Mar-17 21:26:59

I'm all booked in to get it done on 27th. Kind of looking forward to it from all the positive responses. Not one person has said it wasn't worth it. Roll on the 27th! 😂 Thanks, guys! Xxx

SpaghettiMeatballs Fri 10-Mar-17 21:38:47

DH had his done in 1999. He'd suffered dreadfully for years before that. He's never had any problems since.

He wasn't really off his feet. He always said it was so much less painful afterwards than it was before he didn't feel the need to be off his feet.

Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now