We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Gyne exam - postnatal

(6 Posts)
Ipsomatic Fri 10-Mar-17 10:55:31

Hi,

A GP told me a while ago that it's a good idea to have something called a Gyne exam after having a baby, to check that everything is still working down below (which is definitely isn't, in my case).

My GP is a bloke and I'm not totally sure that I want him poking around down there.

I just wondered if anybody knows where the best place is to go to have these things checked? I don't know if I should ask a practice nurse or go to a special clinic, and we're not allowed to book to see a different GP at our practice. I asked the receptionist, but she didn't know.

Thanks!

befairdontjudge Fri 10-Mar-17 11:02:57

No usually done any more. If you have problems stick to your guns and ask for a female doctor. Weird he suggested as routine as it has not been routine for years.

Hoppinggreen Fri 10-Mar-17 11:04:52

Didn't happen when I had either of my 2 babies.

Ipsomatic Fri 10-Mar-17 11:10:47

Thanks for that. It wasn't suggested as routine. I just asked because all is not quite as it should be. I'll phone and ask to see a female GP then. Ta!

befairdontjudge Fri 10-Mar-17 11:30:17

Really put your foot down. If they refuse make a complaint. You can also demand to change to a female GP in the Practice. The CQC would be extremely interested if they are refusing you access to a female GP. It is one of things they look for when Inspecting Practices.

ToadsforJustice Fri 10-Mar-17 18:55:03

Firstly, a post natal gynae exam is no longer routine - unless you are having issues. Secondly, you can insist on seeing a female GP.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now