Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Gyne exam - postnatal

(6 Posts)
Ipsomatic Fri 10-Mar-17 10:55:31

Hi,

A GP told me a while ago that it's a good idea to have something called a Gyne exam after having a baby, to check that everything is still working down below (which is definitely isn't, in my case).

My GP is a bloke and I'm not totally sure that I want him poking around down there.

I just wondered if anybody knows where the best place is to go to have these things checked? I don't know if I should ask a practice nurse or go to a special clinic, and we're not allowed to book to see a different GP at our practice. I asked the receptionist, but she didn't know.

Thanks!

befairdontjudge Fri 10-Mar-17 11:02:57

No usually done any more. If you have problems stick to your guns and ask for a female doctor. Weird he suggested as routine as it has not been routine for years.

Hoppinggreen Fri 10-Mar-17 11:04:52

Didn't happen when I had either of my 2 babies.

Ipsomatic Fri 10-Mar-17 11:10:47

Thanks for that. It wasn't suggested as routine. I just asked because all is not quite as it should be. I'll phone and ask to see a female GP then. Ta!

befairdontjudge Fri 10-Mar-17 11:30:17

Really put your foot down. If they refuse make a complaint. You can also demand to change to a female GP in the Practice. The CQC would be extremely interested if they are refusing you access to a female GP. It is one of things they look for when Inspecting Practices.

ToadsforJustice Fri 10-Mar-17 18:55:03

Firstly, a post natal gynae exam is no longer routine - unless you are having issues. Secondly, you can insist on seeing a female GP.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now