Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Night sweats

(12 Posts)
Latenightreader Fri 10-Mar-17 10:31:29

I sometimes wake at night in a cold sweat, to the extent I have to change my pajamas and the sheet is damp to the touch. It smells too - slightly vinegary and hamsterish and not like normal (underarm) sweat. I changed my bedding before I went to sleep last night, and woke up at three am cold and damp. I put a towel under me (I wasn't awake enough to think about my fleece dressing gown and the fleece throw I've used in the past was downstairs) and flipped the duvet, and now the towel stinks too! I'll have to change the sheet tonight, and possibly the underblanket.

It has been happening for a few years now, and I am not menopausal (had my hormones checked at the doctors a while ago). I can go for weeks without it happening, it doesn't seem to fit with particular times of the month, and it doesn't seem to make a difference whether I have high quality cotton sheets or a polyester/cotton mix.

So far this has never happened anywhere but my own bed. I am really glad I sleep alone... Does anyone have any ideas what might be causing it? I haven't spoken to a doctor about it because it doesn't seem too serious, but it is now driving me bananas!

PollyPerky Fri 10-Mar-17 16:15:08

How old are you? Hormone tests are unreliable so I'd ask about having them done again- you need 2 tests 1 month apart, between days 2-5 of each cycle.

Latenightreader Fri 10-Mar-17 17:08:06

38, but have had quite a few blood tests as I'm having fertility treatment at the mo. The sweats started when I was about 34 and if anything are less frequent than they were at one point...

YellowBricks Fri 10-Mar-17 17:11:51

DP gets this. Every night he wakes up and has to change because he's soaked the bed and it wakes me up if we're cuddling as I get wet too! Like you describe, it has a vinegary smell to it and I can sometimes smell it on my hair the next day. It really bothers him so watching this thread to see if anyone has any good suggestions.

BettyBaggins Fri 10-Mar-17 17:20:22

Is your duvet too thick? You go to bed all cosy but then heat up over night? Does your heating come on at a certain time that coincides with it?

Bad dreams? Stress?

Night sweats can a symptom of a vitamin (c and one of the b's I think?) deficiency.

I get this too and find it quite exhausting, my sympathies.

Latenightreader Sat 11-Mar-17 09:42:05

I wonder whether it could be a vitamin issue - I've just looked up and some people say B12 is linked to night sweats. I shall get some B12 tablets and see if that helps, and have mackerel for tea tonight...

It definitely isn't heating related (it's off at night), and I don't think it is duvet related (although I do like heavy bedding). It is a relief to find that it isn't just me, although sorry that other people are putting up with the discomfort too.

Mrsmorton Sat 11-Mar-17 09:48:14

I had this for years and years. Had dozens of tests (and used to get pissed off when people suggested I was too hot- if only it was that simple).

In the end my GP prescribed me a drug called ditropan, off licence. It's apparently used for bed wetting. It's worked amazingly well and I hardly ever take it now. Once or twice every couple of months if I start the sweats again. It's changed my life and doubled my sleep!!

BettyBaggins Sat 11-Mar-17 11:51:41

Mrs Morton ~ Did you suffer with any side effects from the Ditropan?

Latenight ~ It can also be a symptom of diabetes apparently.

Mrsmorton Sat 11-Mar-17 15:06:09

A bit of a dry mouth but that went fairly soon (or I just got used to it).

I took it for about 4 months, every day and like I said, it seems to have reset something. Literally changed my life.

My sweats didn't smell of vinegar, more like roast chicken confused

Only1scoop Sat 11-Mar-17 15:10:14

Have the same Op you have my sympathies

I got really worried at one point have been tested for just about everything and nothing conclusive. I had a thread about it recently and a poster suggested EPO so I've just started with that.

Latenightreader Sun 16-Jul-17 08:44:17

Prompted by another thread, I thought I'd let you know that I've been taking vitamin B complex since April and haven't had a bad sweaty night since! I've had a couple of the milder versions, but not the full on have to change pajamas and sheet variety. Huge improvement!

RedRosie Sun 16-Jul-17 10:58:26

It's great if the B vits have helped.

Just to say though, that night sweats - albeit rarely - can sometimes be a symptom of serious illness, particularly blood cancers like lymphomas and leukaemias. My DH's cancer was diagnosed partly through this symptom.

So anyone reading this, just be aware. I'm sure it's usually something much more manageable.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now