Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Severe Reflux What Next?

(1 Post)
Evenstar Thu 09-Mar-17 21:35:41

I was diagnosed with acid reflux around 4 months ago, although I believe that I have had it much longer as there is a long history of coughing at night which I had put down to my asthma, a sore throat in the mornings and problems with my teeth and gums. I am currently on 40mg Lansoprazole twice a day, I have altered my diet and am extremely limited as to what I can eat and drink. My doctor wants me to lose a considerable amount of weight, but with such a limited range of food (I am also gluten and cows milk free due to other health problems) and an under active thyroid it is a real struggle.

Today I have been for a barium swallow and been told by the radiologist that the reflux is very severe, to the point that my stomach contents ran straight into my throat when I was moved. Even if I can manage to lose the weight will that be sufficient to control reflux at this level?

Any advice would be welcome, I am feeling very low about this especially given I can't even tolerate decaffeinated coffee or a small glass of wine 🙁

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now