Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Can I stop my period now it's started?

(6 Posts)
meridithssister Wed 08-Mar-17 23:23:57

I've googled and ibuprofen seems to be the answer, but has anyone tried this?
I have the chance of real actual sex for the first time in a long time on Saturday. It's been a slow burn relationship and we have decided that Saturday will be The Day.
However my bastard period has started this evening. Please tell me I can find a way to get it done by Saturday???? blush

ImaLannister Wed 08-Mar-17 23:37:03

You can't stop your period once it has started, you can only take tablets before your period is due to delay your period. So don't waste your time, money or putting an impact on your health by taking ibuprofen for no reason. You should be lighter by Saturday. He and you either have to accept that's how it will be or wait until your period is over.

HelenDenver Wed 08-Mar-17 23:39:27

Plenty of men will fuck during a period. Is it that you don't want to?

MollyRedskirts Wed 08-Mar-17 23:42:34

Actually, I've done it, but it was accidental and it faded to spotting, then with no bleeding for two days, then spotting again leading to heavy bleeding.

I accidentally took the full dose of tranexamic acid, prescribed to me for heavy periods, with full doses of naproxen (an NSAID like ibrprofen) prescribed for another problem.

It wasn't worth it because it prolonged my period, and it wasn't reliably stopped.

meridithssister Thu 09-Mar-17 08:15:08

Thanks all. Helen, its a conversation I'm willing to have if he is grin

SwearyGodmother Thu 09-Mar-17 08:19:27

You can take norethisterone once you're bleeding and it will stop everything within 48 hours. I'd weigh up whether it's worth it though - the flood afterwards isn't fun and it can make you a bit crazy. If you've started today will you be particularly heavy on Saturday? It might just be best to have the chat and put a towel down.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now