Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Unintentional weight loss, and fatigue

(6 Posts)
Nikki2ol6 Wed 08-Mar-17 10:57:58

Hello!
I had a baby 2 month ago. It wasn't just like having a normal baby, my baby was very poorly and was in intensive care after birth as he needed heart surgery. It's been a VERY stressful time and now after going through all this we are told he will need another surgery in the near future. I have other children so I sleep at home, take my kids to school, go to hospital come back home so the house work , do the school run, feed my partner get the kids to bed, back to hospital stay till around 9pm to come have some food and go to bed.... this is now my daily routine. So I haven't been eating as much crap as I normally would. But I feel my weight loss is going a bit fast... Iv lost 3lbs in 5 days. I feel exhausted!!!!!

Is it all just stress related or should I visit my gp?

WatchingFromTheWings Wed 08-Mar-17 11:03:21

Even if it's 'just' stress related, a trip to the doctors might be a good idea.

Also, could your partner not feed himself and put the kids to bed? Or help out with the housework for that matter?

NotAMamaYet Wed 08-Mar-17 14:38:41

Depends how much you weighed to begin with doesn't it? 3lbs is much easier to lose if you're overweight than 3lbs if you have a BMI of 18 for example, stress or no stress

NotAMamaYet Wed 08-Mar-17 14:39:42

Apologies my post reads harshly, just wanted to gain a clearer picture. Sorry to hear about you newborn, I hope he's on the mend flowers

sadie9 Wed 08-Mar-17 15:39:14

Congrats on your baby, hope he gets well and gets home soon.
I would go to the GP, it'll do you no harm certainly. Thyroid issues causing fatigue, and anxiety can often happen after having a baby.
Also try to build some proper meal breaks into your routine.
You are using up much more energy than before you had your baby - literally, you are walking more, driving more, doing more dashing around. And probably doing everything at top speed. So you are using more calories so if you were of normal weight before you may need more food than you are used to.

peggyundercrackers Wed 08-Mar-17 15:42:49

i wouldn't worry about 3lbs in 5 days, that's easy to do if your not eating properly and running around a bit. sounds like you need a rest and someone to help you out properly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now