Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Monthly migraines

(4 Posts)
MrNoseybonk Wed 08-Mar-17 10:17:14

Hi,
For about 2 years now, my wife has begun to suffer from debillitating migraines around the beginning of her periods, which last for 3-4 days.
She's 42, and has also been having irregular cycles and unusual menstruations e.g. very heavy for a day or two then stopping for a day, then starting again, which she didn't have previously.
The migraines are bad enough that she takes co-codamol, ibuprofen and sometimes paracetemol all at the same time.
Even so, that doesn't always work and she ends up lying in a darkened bedroom feeling nauseous.
So, given that it didn't happen until recently, could it be linked to menopause or peri-menopause?
Is there anything she can do to alleviate the symptoms?
The reason I am posting is that she won't go to the doctors about it as she thinks there will be nothing that they can do.
I'm worried about her and think she should go, but it's her choice. So I thought I might ask here.

GurneyGob Wed 08-Mar-17 19:36:50

She needs to see a GP. They can prescribe much better medication such as Sumitriptan to take when she gets her menstrual headaches - it is an abortive and should stop the pain. the Dr can also prescribe better painkillers such as naproxen. They may also do an FSH blood test to track her hormone levels before and after her period.

Before the headache comes on try to keep super hydrated with water. I gave up caffeine (although some caffeine does seem to help with the actual headache) entirely which helped a bit. I also did the Migraine diet for several months (no real effect - except avoiding caffeine and Parmesan). I usually eat something carby and bland - cream crackers, unsalted tortilla chips and that alleviates the nausea a bit. Dr's have recommended taking Stugeron (travel sickness tablets) to me for the nausea/dizziness. I like the room I am lying in to be cool but make sure my toes and hands are warm.

The migraine trust and migraine action have good websites

MrNoseybonk Thu 09-Mar-17 09:17:48

Thank you, that's very useful. I'll try and convince her (again) to go see the doctor.

Eatingcheeseontoast Thu 09-Mar-17 09:23:44

Definitely go to the GP. My sister had this in perimenopause and they had to give it a couple of tries but found a medication that worked. It made such a difference to her. She also went on to HRT.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now