Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

First appointment at rheumatology, what to expect?

(3 Posts)
insan1tyscartching Tue 07-Mar-17 16:33:33

Dd has been referred to rheumatology with what they suspect is anyklosing spondylitis. Tomorrow will be her first appointment and I think she'd probably feel better if she knew what to expect.
She has been so ill, has been prescribed a whole gamut of medication including morphine and still isn't getting much relief. Her weight has dropped to six and a half stone and she's now got a flare up of uveitis alongside.
GP told her that he expects her to be prescribed steroids but nothing much else and hospital asked for bloods to be done in preparation for tomorrow so any experiences would be great thank you.

NotCitrus Tue 07-Mar-17 16:42:04

Don't know about AS, but mine was long chat about all my symptoms and what did/didn't help, then sent for X-rays and bloods. Wwent back 2 weeks later and prescribed new meds.

insan1tyscartching Thu 09-Mar-17 13:40:55

Well dd was diagnosed with AS has been referred for an MRI, to physiotherapy and to the AS clinic. Given diclofenac to add to the cocktail of painkillers,talked about a course of steroids should they not be able to sort the pain and the possibility of starting on immunosuppresants in 4 to 6 months (which seems a long time when she is in so much pain tbh).Goes back again in a month now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now