Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Recommendations for probiotics that work?

(10 Posts)
sniffle12 Tue 07-Mar-17 12:25:20

Does anyone have any recommendations for probiotics that work?

I have heard that having strong healthy gut bacteria can really help with IBS and allergies, both of which I have problems with, but have also heard that if the bacteria in a probiotic don't make it to your gut alive, it's basically wasted money.

Any recommendations for probiotic/prebiotic anything that has seemed to actually make a difference?

Thanks smile

RoseDore Tue 07-Mar-17 14:59:35

My GP told me the only ones that work are on prescription only so, yes, a waste of money to buy. You can drink Kefir, make sauerkraut and eat other foods good for probiotics. Easy to find if you google.

Mrsknackered Tue 07-Mar-17 15:03:20

I take Acidophilus after I've been prescribed a course antibiotics (I have repeat urine and kidney infections) and antibiotics quite often leave me with belly aches. I think they're great. Could all just be in my head though!

milkmoustache Tue 07-Mar-17 15:05:01

Another vote for Kefir. I am getting positive results from it, and it looks as if it is possible (and tons cheaper) to make yourself.

RoseDore Tue 07-Mar-17 23:12:20

I'm making it myself, milkmoustache, it's a doddle, though the starter grains are expensive, IMO.

spiney Tue 07-Mar-17 23:42:15

They have Kefir at my Aldi at the mo. As part of Polish week.

milkmoustache Wed 08-Mar-17 10:57:30

RoseDore, tell me more - any tips to pass on? I am getting fed up of chasing down my supplies of Kefir every week, only two shops seem to stock it near me in Cambridge.

claraschu Wed 08-Mar-17 11:04:57

BioCare is a good company. There probiotic was recommended to us by a doctor who we went to privately for help with my daughter's chronic health problem.

RoseDore Wed 08-Mar-17 18:53:08

You can buy kefir grains online or in a health food shop, milkmoustache, You can get milk ones or water ones. I've chosen the milk ones. You basically leave the grains in a jar with 250ml of milk for 12 with the lid off. You then strain the grains and start again. You can store the grains up to a week in the fridge if you have made too much kefir. You can store the kefir in the fridge for a few days. I bought my grains on Amazon for about £9 from Living Probiotics. They look like nothing but they grow so you can pass some on to friends or chuck them away grin. I love the kefir. It is quite thin but tastes quite lively. The longer you leave it, the sourer it becomes but it's a matter of taste.

Minime85 Wed 08-Mar-17 21:42:59

Suffered ibs for over 15 yrs only one that worked for me is symprove. Made a massive difference. Took for about 18 months and now don't need to

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now