Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Cures for all over itchy rash

(20 Posts)
anametouse Tue 07-Mar-17 11:35:01

Mum has a rash all over, starred in face and has moved all over body. Doctor doesn't know what it is, has given steroids and she was previously on antihistamines.

Any other tips to stop the itch? Steroids work whilst active but when they run out she's not sleeping due to the extreme itching

hmsbismark Tue 07-Mar-17 11:38:37

Can you get to a chemist? Poxclin or Virasoothe for chicken pox might help?

anametouse Tue 07-Mar-17 11:51:14

I can try sending her off to one, will it help even if it's defiantly not chicken pox ?

comeagainforbigfudge Tue 07-Mar-17 12:21:10

It might.

E45 has an itch relief cream as well.

IvorHughJarrs Tue 07-Mar-17 12:26:42

Has she any idea what it might be herself? Any new products, washing stuff, changes to diet, stress, pets, etc?
Did the antihistamines help? Might be worth trying an older antihistamine like Piriton as may be better for skin rashes and help sleep
Has she been back to GP since getting steroids? They may want to run blood tests if it is not settling

anametouse Tue 07-Mar-17 17:58:01

There doesnt seem to be any trigger at all, nothing has changed.good idea for the different antihistamines.

Saw doctor yesterday so early days yet

purplecollar Tue 07-Mar-17 21:21:33

We used to use Eurax cream in the nursing home I worked in. You can buy it over the counter but I'm not sure what's in it. It does work but wears off after a while.

Footle Wed 08-Mar-17 19:28:24

An all-over rash can sometimes be a symptom of a liver problem. Have they tested her liver function?

iMatter Wed 08-Mar-17 19:43:51

I had urticaria a few years ago.

Awful, itchy and hot and came out of nowhere.

I took anti histamine and smothered myself in calamine lotion.

I hope it gets better soon.

AndHoldTheBun Wed 08-Mar-17 20:04:33

Has the GP done any blood test? Liver function?
Any history of ceoliac disease in the family? It may present as a rash.

anametouse Wed 08-Mar-17 22:01:13

No blood tests as yet, she has absolutely no other symptoms though (and lives a healthy lifestyle with no family history or liver problems)

Nope, no coeliac history.

Poor Mum, isn't sleeping at all .. not sure what to do for her.

Any natural remedies?

Footle Thu 09-Mar-17 07:20:41

But 'natural remedies' without knowing what's going on - doesn't sound a great idea. If you can find a member of the National Institute of Medical Herbalists within reach, that could be a practical and responsible way to get help.

Crumbs1 Thu 09-Mar-17 07:28:25

Y husband has had this for around two years now. Idiopathic urticaria- just developed a really nasty, itchy, blistering rash. He has never had tests of any sort but saw a dermatologist a couple of times.
There are triggers - dermatologist thinks it was initially dye for angiogram that started it off - but we've changed to all hypoallergenic toiletries and washing powder. Heat makes it worse. Chlorine makes it worse. Stress makes it worse.
Strong antihistamines (Fexofenadine) help, steroid cream helps, keeping it moisturised and stopping skin from drying helps. Cotton clothes are better. It drives him potty and interrupts sleep to,the point he got sent to the spare room. Horrid but not particularly serious.

anametouse Thu 09-Mar-17 14:21:45

Oh I do hope it doesn't stay for her, she's having such a horrible time in life without that too! sad thanks for the tips though

TheFirie Thu 09-Mar-17 19:30:24

An itch all over the body might be a sign of liver problem as others have already said.
An itchy rash, I am not sure, but I would go back.
Your mum cannot sleep, there is something .

anametouse Thu 09-Mar-17 21:02:34

She's been to the GP, there is no indication it's a liver problem. It does seem to be what Crumbs husband has, it's just driving her crazy smile

AndHoldTheBun Fri 10-Mar-17 07:56:09

But... the itch itself can be an indication of liver problems, even if she's not looking yellow.

I would be pushing the GP to do a panel of blood tests to rule that out, as you say no bloods were done at the first appointment, and the rash/itch hasn't resolved.

anametouse Fri 10-Mar-17 09:29:09

I understand everyone's concern but she's got a good GP. They're treating and assessing her well, it's not really helping to keep telling me she probably has liver problems. She's discussed it with the GP, it's not that kind of rash/itchyness. Really I was hoping for more tips such as those from Crumbs (for example, I read lemon juice helps I suspect it doesn't and also that oats help etc...)

Genuinely not being difficult here.

smashedhen Fri 10-Mar-17 12:50:38

I had the same thing, the lack of sleep caused by the itching was almost worse than the itch. I used every single cream I could find, and nothing helped at all. I was referred to a dermatolist and prescribed two strong antihistamines - atarax and ceterazine which finally worked. the only other thing that soothed it at all was aveeno shower oil, which I get on prescription, but you can buy in chemists - it's about £9 a bottle though, so I get 4 bottles per prescription

anametouse Fri 10-Mar-17 15:27:26

That's great, thanks so much.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now