Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Tooth/facial pain

(14 Posts)
TowerRose Mon 06-Mar-17 16:26:42

Since late December I've had really bad toothache in my molar- had the nerves removed a month ago, had a root canal 2 weeks ago, also had a course of antibiotics, but I still have trouble chewing because of the pain. Throughout this treatment I've also had really horrible pain under my jaw and in my cheek and pain going down my neck to collar bone when it's particularly bad.

The dentist is baffled- he has said if the pain persists he can take the tooth out but has said he can't guarantee that would help. I'm at my wits end- does anyone have any suggestions?

SpikyFish Mon 06-Mar-17 16:45:45

Has he done an xray - this could be referred pain

TowerRose Mon 06-Mar-17 16:50:27

Yep, it looks fine apparently confused

Jenniferb21 Mon 06-Mar-17 16:52:23

Can you get a second opinion with another dentist?

I had repeated abscesses in a tooth had all sorts of treatments and the dentist didn't know how it kept happening. In the end I had it removed but it was a back tooth. As soon as it was removed I felt relief and I've never had pain again.

X

TowerRose Mon 06-Mar-17 17:10:20

No, I live quite out of the way so it's the only one I can get to. He has suggested taking it out but has said that if there's still pain if I get it removed then possibly I should see a GP to check if its anything medical, but I'd rather know that before pulling a tooth out confused

dot91 Mon 06-Mar-17 17:13:31

My daughter has something that sounds very similar . Repeated trips to the dentist nothing could be found , she has been in excruciating pain for over a year , pain lasts about an hour or two then goes. She was seen by the dental,hospital 3 weeks ago and diagnosed with persistent idiopathic facial pain , which does not respond to painkillers which explained why she was getting no relief when taking them . The consultant described it as like the phantom pains people get after having a limb removed . She has been perscribed gabapentin which seems to helping, pain still severe but doesn't last as long ,she might need the dose upped to get the pain to go.

dot91 Mon 06-Mar-17 17:14:16

My daughter was told having the tooth removed wouldn't have helped

TowerRose Mon 06-Mar-17 17:56:17

That's interesting dot, does she have pain when chewing as well as the facial and tooth pain?

dot91 Mon 06-Mar-17 22:09:24

Not sure and she's at work just now , I do know that it can be triggered by cold . But a lot of the time she was asleep & it woke her. The pain I think was in her mouth at the back in the jaw & up at her eye .

dot91 Mon 06-Mar-17 22:12:58

My daughter also had all the same treatments as you . I don't remember her saying it hurt to chew but I do know she lived in fear of the pain starting as it would be every day for about a week and then a few days of nothing .

BhajiAllTheWay Tue 07-Mar-17 21:48:50

Trigeminal nerve pain could be the cause and as this is such an extensive nerve running below the jaw , and up the face it can often be hard to pinpoint the exact location . Dental treatment can aggravate it with shooting stabbing or throbbing ain starting u intermittently. Definitely check before submitting to more extractions.

bigbuttons Tue 07-Mar-17 21:53:41

I would say it's nerve pain. I suffered for years. You have my sympathy.

CharleyDavidson Tue 07-Mar-17 21:59:14

Tower, do pain killers work to numb the pain?
Can you pinpoint what triggers it?
Is it unbearable?

I had a tooth out that I didn't need removing, and more dental work, because I'd developed trigeminal neuralgia and the dentist didn't realise.
After walking out from the dentists, numb from the anaesthetic, yet still in agony in my face/mouth and jaw, I took myself straight to the doctors. Who diagnosed me.

You're right to be wary of unecessary dental work - there are people on the forum I read who have had many, many teeth removed before diagnosis. Sometimes 6 or more.

I also have been prescribed gabapentin which keeps on top of 95% of the pain.

TowerRose Wed 05-Apr-17 14:12:23

Finally managed to go see my GP about this! She was lovely and advised me against getting the tooth extracted yet. The pain has gotten so much worse, it feels like I've been punched in the face. She did say that it is likely some form of nerve condition, so she has prescribed me 10mg of Amitriptyline for a month. If that doesn't help I'll be referred for tests.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: