Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

I had an anaphylactic attack

(27 Posts)
WelshMoth Mon 06-Mar-17 11:16:16

On Friday, total surprise, utterly terrifying. Not sure why I'm posting. I usually bounce back from things but this has wiped me out. Really shaken me.

ageingrunner Mon 06-Mar-17 11:18:02

I had this a couple of years ago. I know why it happened though (duck eggs). It's frightening enough anyway but must be worse if you don't know why it happened. Have you been given an epi pen? flowers

WelshMoth Mon 06-Mar-17 14:13:13

Yes, have an epipen now and have had a talk with my local Practice Nurse on how to use them, what to do etc.

Paramedics were great, colleagues were amazing, A&E were great. Yet, I feel so flat.

Is this a stress reaction, do you think? I honestly thought at one point, that I'd not see my DC again.

Maudlinmaud Mon 06-Mar-17 14:18:55

Terrifying flowers
I think your reaction is normal, did you get the scratchy feeling in your throat first? That's what scares me the most.

WelshMoth Mon 06-Mar-17 14:35:52

Yes, throat started scratching and I felt myself trying to clear mynthroat constantly. After a few minutes, my nasal passage closed up totally then my eyes puffed up. My airway was closing when the paramedics arrived. Luckily, they were passing my workplace when the call came in. So many lucky escapes.

My colleague called 999. I owe him my life.

olderthanyouthink Mon 06-Mar-17 14:40:25

flowers (not allergic to flowers right?)
I had a bad/anaphylactic reaction on valentines day, didn't go to A&E though apparently I should have.

It feels weird afterwards doesn't it?

Maudlinmaud Mon 06-Mar-17 14:47:08

Welsh I couldn't explain it better myself. I'm allergic to wasp stings, little flying hitlers and I dread august to end of september. I carry my epi but have never actually used it on myself, though I would if I had to. I go to pieces and panic usually which makes the situation worse.
Do you want to tell us what happened? Or would it be too awful?

WelshMoth Mon 06-Mar-17 14:47:09

It does feel weird.

My head has been wrecked since Friday.

How did you cope not going to hospital?! Frightening.

WelshMoth Mon 06-Mar-17 14:52:18

I ate something innocent enough (or so I though that) but one of the ingredients that now jumps out at me is cherries. I think the actual fruit is fine, but the cherry stone is what causes it I think. It's caused itchy throats in the past (also peach and nectarine stones) but nothing as massive as this.

Within 15 mins I really thought I was going to die. My colleague already called 999 and was holding my hand. Other colleagues were about but were as white as sheets. Think they were scared.

I'm not a panicker but I thought my time had come. Not sure I'll get over that in a hurry.

Mellifera Mon 06-Mar-17 14:55:18

You had a nasty and frightening experience. It will take time to get over it, that's normal.
I hope having an epipen is calming you down a bit and hope the source of your reaction will be found. Allergy test?

Maudlinmaud Mon 06-Mar-17 15:01:55

Yes it can have a very profound effect on you. Thank goodness you where with others.

WelshMoth Mon 06-Mar-17 15:04:34

Allergy tests next which will be reassuring, but the epipen is the biggest reassurance of all. I'll carry it everywhere with me.

I'll be Glad to get the referral I must say.

I've never heard of stones of fruits causing anaphylaxis....

olderthanyouthink Mon 06-Mar-17 15:07:28

Stupid as I sounds, I didn't know I needed to... They always say don't go to A&E unless it's a genuine emergency... And while my throat swelled up (plus some other stuff), I could still breath fine bit just felt unpleasant. I got told a off a lot by MN & NHS 111 for that.

olderthanyouthink Mon 06-Mar-17 15:10:21

Btw I have depression and that experience, knowing that I could have died shocked me out of it for about a week which was oddly nice but everything's back to normal except I have to be really carful about what I eat really sad about not eating some stuff

Vidorra Mon 06-Mar-17 15:19:44

Glad you're ok, very lucky your colleague called an ambulance.

I took a reaction to bananas last week (nowhere near as bad as anaphalix) and it scared me that the vague itching in my mouth I'd been experiencing before and passed off as in my head had got worse this time and spread to my lips and throat. I'll not be chancing it again due to exposure. Reading about it could be a cross over from pollen or latex allergy, both of which I have.

Hope the allergy tests go ok flowers

WelshMoth Mon 06-Mar-17 15:21:58

older I'm relieved you're ok.
The nurse drummed it into me earlier that 999 is essential even after administering an epipen. 2nd attacks are common - up to 12 hours after the initial phase. Frightening.

I spend my summers camping in rural France. DH and I have both agreed to try and plan our route so that we are pretty close (ish) to hospitals/emergency centres.

This has rattled me.

WelshMoth Mon 06-Mar-17 15:23:27

Thanks Vidorra.

Allergens are bizarre. Bananas crossed over from latex. Bonkers.

EllenRipley Mon 06-Mar-17 19:27:57

Oh you have my sympathy! This happened to me a few weeks ago, sudden allergy to penicillin (never a problem before!). Itchy throat, prickling right through my body, numb lips,felt like my face was swelling up... Then vomiting and diarrhoea. Oh and just for good measure my period started! By the time the doc came the worst was over but it took a few days to recover and get my head round what had happened. I've not been to see my GP since to discuss whether I need an epi-pen (I'm thinking not since it would be unlikely to have a random encounter with penicillin) but try reassure yourself - if it should happen to you again, you've got your pen. Life is full of risks that for the most part we're unaware of - least you've got this one covered! X

highinthesky Mon 06-Mar-17 19:37:48

Sorry to hear about your experience OP, scary!

Keep the Epipen close to hand at all times, and watch the expiry date (they are notoriously short dated).

EllenRipley Mon 06-Mar-17 19:41:46

Oh you have my sympathy! This happened to me a few weeks ago, sudden allergy to penicillin (never a problem before!). Itchy throat, prickling right through my body, numb lips,felt like my face was swelling up... Then vomiting and diarrhoea. Oh and just for good measure my period started! By the time the doc came the worst was over but it took a few days to recover and get my head round what had happened. I've not been to see my GP since to discuss whether I need an epi-pen (I'm thinking not since it would be unlikely to have a random encounter with penicillin) but try reassure yourself - if it should happen to you again, you've got your pen. Life is full of risks that for the most part we're unaware of - least you've got this one covered! X

TheFirie Tue 07-Mar-17 01:30:14

It is very scary indeed and well done on your colleague.

My son's best friend has always on epipen with him, his mum always has one with her and there is one in a dedicated drawer in the lounge in their house. This was the recommendation she received from the hospital. One epipen is not enough, because on the day you will need it, you might not have it with you for a zillion reasons. So one at home and everyone (kids included) know where it is, one at work and put a label on the drawer and one with you.

You first attack was mild. This might not be the case with the second one, so you need to be prepared and let the people who you spend time with know what they need to do. Next time, your blood pressure might drop first and you wouldn;t necessarily be able to communicate and give instructions.
Have a small card next to the house phone so if your kids call emergency, they will be able to explain. If "anaphylaxis" is hard for them to say because they are very young, just write epipen.

shitgibbon Tue 07-Mar-17 02:15:52

Make sure you put the fact you have an epipen and the location of your epipen and your emergency contact on the screensaver of your phone so if something happens people will be able to see this info even with your phone being locked.

HeartsTrumpDiamonds Tue 07-Mar-17 02:20:57

We had epi-pen training at work. I'd recommend getting some training for people close to you.

olderthanyouthink Tue 07-Mar-17 08:23:13

ellen flowers for the rough day

Good points about having a card/lock screen with details.

Can you ask for multiple epipens? I don't have one but I fear I will be given one as my reaction was to food (hazelnuts I think). I'm deathly scared of needles.

I had my reaction at work and at first people didn't believe when I said I think I'm reacting but someone went to get some pills with me. The first aider just asked me if I wanted to go home when I told him what was happening so I doubt anyone knows how to use an epi pen (most think is a quick stab, in-out)

chloesmumtoo Tue 07-Mar-17 16:01:59

Glad your ok WelshMoth flowers What a frightening experience.
I have not had anaphylaxis myself but my dd is anaphylactic to peanuts. Atleast if you can request some allergy tests it will give you definite confirmation it was the cherries. That is what we done due to dds Peanut reaction as we still wanted it confirmed. Was there anything else you were eating? My dd gets an itchy mouth with most fruits - oral allergy syndrome we think as she has pollen allergies too but thank goodness she has her epipens just in case it ever turned into something else. She is quite allergy prone.
Yes olderthanyouthink you should receive atleast two epipens from a doctor if you suffer anaphylaxis, my dd even has four. Two for home, two for school. It is terribly important to carry them at all times. Two are important in case of a misfire or if the reaction is real bad and no improvement you can inject another within 10mins of the first. My dd has a medic alert necklace for times she goes out with friends.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now