Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Ovulation question for general health

(3 Posts)
Alicejj8x Mon 06-Mar-17 10:59:25

Hello ladies ..
jist wondered if you can help me. I've recently come off my period after having to take a tablet to regulate them as there 3 months apart!
Just wondering how I would go about working out when my ovulation date is? I do the ovulation sticks from Amazon the cheapies as my period can range between 90-100 days sometimes longer?!
Any help would be good thankyou

AttilaTheMeerkat Mon 06-Mar-17 13:00:45

If your cycles have consistently been this irregular it is unlikely that you're ovulating regularly if at all. I would not use the OPKs at all in these circumstances because they will not help and will probably give you multiple false positive results. I would instead have blood tests done to confirm what your hormone levels, particularly LH and FSH, are like in relation to each other. If periods are irregular such tests can be done according to calendar days. Day 2 is the ideal day to test LH and FSH levels.

Such problems are often cause by hormonal imbalances; a condition called polycystic ovaries is a common culprit and another possible cause is problems with the thyroid gland. I would try and determine exactly why your periods are this irregular because there is a cause.

Alicejj8x Mon 06-Mar-17 14:50:46

They have only started becoming irregular since my miscarriage last year. I was on the pill for 6 years and before the pill they was regular
I have had blood tests done to see if anything was wrong with my hormones and they all came back fine? Do you think I should ring up and ask for more bloods??

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now