Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Hysteroscopy

(18 Posts)
Itsmeitscathy Sun 05-Mar-17 16:05:35

I'm having one and a coil fitted under GA. Never given birth. Will I be ok for work the next day? Is it awful?

There's a chance I'll have to be awake due to other health issues - i've heard it is awful.

If it is I'd rather know so I can be prepared. Had a lot of other medical issues and this is supposedly easy in comparison!

Itsnothingoriginal Sun 05-Mar-17 18:52:05

I had one and coil fitted recently under GA. A lot will depend on how you react to the anaesthetic really as I personally had no pain afterwards from the procedure and only mild cramping from coil. I wouldn't have gone back to work the next day though as they recommend recovery will take 24 hours after a GA.

Hopefully someone here can give you an idea about pain levels if having it done under local.

NK346f2849X127d8bca260 Sun 05-Mar-17 20:23:26

www.menopausematters.co.uk
You are probably not menopausal age, but lots of threads on the forum about hysteroscopy.

conkerpods Mon 06-Mar-17 00:08:40

Hi,I had a hysteroscopy done under GA,I felt fine and went to work the next day.
A couple of months after I had a coil fitted and the gynae did it under a hysteroscopy again to make sure it was in the right place (I have a tilted womb plus some c section complications). This was painful as they pumped in lots of water and I was cramping quite a bit. It wasn't unbearable though. No oain the following day but I was very bloated.
I have previously had two coils fitted with no pain relief (or hysteroscopy) and they didn't hurt at all and I only got 3cm in my labour and had C sections.

iamme21 Mon 06-Mar-17 00:16:47

I have had both a hysteroscopy and a coil fitted in separate procedures. No amaesthetic for either, and drove myself home afterwards. I felt ok, just a little bloated

DramaAlpaca Mon 06-Mar-17 00:20:39

I had a hysteroscopy and a coil fitted under GA and was absolutely fine. I was able to go back to work the next day but was a bit uncomfortable and sore.

ShanghaiDiva Mon 06-Mar-17 00:25:06

I have had this procedure - felt fine afterwards, no cramping and no pain, basically back to normal straight away.

PollyPerky Mon 06-Mar-17 08:15:16

I had this done with no GA (not a coil but the hysteroscopy.) It was fine and I travelled home by public transport though did have a cuppa at a friend's house for a few hours afterwards. Can't see any reason why you'd need time off work.

PollyPerky Mon 06-Mar-17 08:16:36

Sorry- you say you ARE having a GA! In that case you may need a day off work due to the GA and shouldn't drive or operate machinery. The hospital will give you guidance.

Roystonv Mon 06-Mar-17 08:21:49

No ga for me with hysteroscopy, drove myself home and back at work the next day but I have had two dc. Not awful but not pleasant I did grip nurses hand quite tight! They kept everything very light and sort of chatted so I just tried to join in with that.

Itsmeitscathy Mon 06-Mar-17 21:43:09

Thank you ladies. I've had internal ultrasounds and things but nothing quite this invasive for a long time. In saying that, I've had ovarian cancer and a lot of surgery so technically this should be a breeze!

RuncibleSp00n Mon 06-Mar-17 21:47:17

I've had both a hysteroscopy and a mirena cool fitted (separately, a decade apart) without any pain relief at all and got bus home by myself straight after both. They were both before I'd ever had kids.
I imagine these days (after two vaginal deliveries) they could send the coil up on a paper plane and I'd not even notice! grin

RuncibleSp00n Mon 06-Mar-17 21:48:06

*coil (not 'cool') blush

Crumbs1 Mon 06-Mar-17 21:58:03

I drove myself home after a hysteroscopy with no sedation or anaesthetic. I took Paracetamol an hour beforehand. I can't say it was particularly pleasant but wasn't awful or especially painful, more uncomfortable when being removed and soggy. Hardest thing was trying to make polite conversation in the circumstances. I went straight back to work afterwards.

If it's under ga then you'll not be able to drive for 24 hours usually.

PollyPerky Mon 06-Mar-17 22:37:10

OP It's really nothing worse than a smear. Having been awake for the whole thing I think you are worrying too much. The scope is tiny- 2-3mm , and although it's a bit undignified it ought not to be painful. My dr had to dilate me as my cervix was closed. The whole thing took longer- 30 minutes as opposed to 5-10 but there was no pain.

Itsmeitscathy Tue 07-Mar-17 21:17:27

Thank you, a friend had one and said it was very painful so I've been worrying!

izzyislington Tue 07-Mar-17 21:41:17

I had one when my coil went walkabout It was an outpatient procedure, but in a proper operating theatre. I was advised to take a nurofen equivalent an hour beforehand (had no other pain relief) and honestly, it was fine. The camera immediately located the missing coil which was then easily removed. They took a womb biopsy (just because they could I think) and then fitted a new coil. It was not painful, just felt weird, having your womb blown up with water!
I hate hospitals so drank my tea, got dressed and took the bus home as soon as I was allowed afterwards, (though I think the nurses were a bit surprised about that).
The worst bit about what you're having is probably the GA which can leave you feeling very woozy and weird. Also, the more anxious you feel, the worse it will be. I learned a thing or two about mental control of pain when I was in labour.

yaela123 Wed 08-Mar-17 18:01:20

I've never had this but (correct me if I'm wrong) I think usually they recommend a day off after any GA.

Good luck! I'm sure it'll be fine and easier than you expect

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now