Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Bruising after physio session

(8 Posts)
Introvertedbuthappy Sun 05-Mar-17 10:51:32

I was hoping someone could advise me. I had a private physiotherapy session yesterday afternoon and as part of it I had a deep tissue massage. Now I would say that on attending my pain was probably a 1-2 (had a very bad sciatica flare up in December), but this morning it is a 5-6 (have had to take cocodamol to sleep) and I have a massive bruise extending across my lower back (I had to stop the session yesterday as I was practically in tears).

My question is, is this normal? The physio said it would initially hurt more before getting better as he has to loosen the area. I am just in a lot of pain right now and am getting quite teary about the idea of going back (although will to try and get better).

Introvertedbuthappy Sun 05-Mar-17 16:57:15

No one? sad

StealingYourWiFi Sun 05-Mar-17 16:58:03

Sometimes I get bruising after a sports massage, sometimes I don't.

mymatemarmite Sun 05-Mar-17 16:59:49

I have had deep tissue massage and it is indeed very painful but after a few sessions my injury has been a lot better. I have also bruised too.

bruffin Sun 05-Mar-17 17:04:45

I had a sport massage for my rotator cuff and ended up with bruises but it did work

Introvertedbuthappy Sun 05-Mar-17 17:50:42

Great, thank you all for reassuring me! Googling wasn't helping me...I'll stick with it if it gives me long term relief.

Wiifitmama Sun 05-Mar-17 17:55:31

Yes bruising after always and generally on the point of crying during! And I have fantastic sports physios who o trust completely.

rumblingDMexploitingbstds Sun 05-Mar-17 18:03:05

Yes, I had some heavy massage to get my knee back in working order after six months of waiting for surgery left it locked in the bent position. I used to sob (silently) throughout, it was agonising, but it did the job and I got full range of motion back.

Sorry you're going through this. flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now