Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Low immunity after sepsis recovery?

(6 Posts)
IamNotDarling Fri 03-Mar-17 21:04:03

I'm 4.5 months post sepsis recovery and I seem to be picking up every bug under the sun. I've been back at work for 7 weeks.

I've had a bacterial infection, numerous coughs and colds. I'm washing my hands frequently and steering clear of obviously ill people but I just keep being ill.

Is low immunity the likely cause? If so, what can I do to boost it? I'm eating and sleeping well, work is supportive and giving me the choice of home working when I'm under the weather.

Any ideas? Thanks

CarabellaSmella Sun 05-Mar-17 08:24:14

I was the same after having Sepsis. I'm a year on now and much better but still unbelievably paranoid about bugs! Every time someone comes to work with a cold, I leave, luckily my work are very understanding...

Anyway, have you been to your GP for a full blood count? I was anaemic for a while after the sepsis, and had low B12 levels (still do) so took supplements as well as eating really healthily.

Also check out the Sepsis Trust web site which has lots of good information about Post Sepsis Syndrome, and a forum which might help. I think ultimately you have just been really ill, and it will take your body a while to recover. In my personal experience, I wasn't anywhere like back to normal (still don't think I'm 100%) till about 6 months after I got out of hospital.

Hope you feel better soon.

GloGirl Sun 05-Mar-17 08:47:53

I was going to suggest going to GP for tests just to make sure. It sounds rotten. I know this is a bit twee but make sure you eat well and drink well and get lots of rest flowers

IamNotDarling Mon 06-Mar-17 00:31:38

Thanks both. Bloods back to normal now, so no anaemia or other deficiency. Food and sleep are high up on my priorities list!

Consultant pretty much sent me away and said "you'll be fine" so it's reassuring but rubbish carabella that your experience was the same.

CarabellaSmella Mon 06-Mar-17 08:19:15

Forgot to mention probiotics to improve immunity - I take Optibac Everyday ones. Probably just a coincidence but I feel they help so could be worth a try!

Quartz2208 Mon 06-Mar-17 08:32:01

My son had sepsis and it took him 6 months to get back to normal, in that time he was ill every 3 or so weeks from mild viruses to being hospitalised again with bronchitis and awful hand foot and mouth we got sent to a&e with as they did nor know what it was at first.

He has not been ill for 2 months now and seems back to normal

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now