Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Generally feeling like crap!

(33 Posts)

I've been feeling generally rubbish for a while, suspected it might be my thyroid but I've had that tested along with some other tests (more on that below) and it's fine. I'm seeing my GP on Monday to discuss the test results as I had them done privately, but as it's not my thyroid I'm wondering if anyone else has a similar combination of issues as I'm about on my knees.

The GPs at my surgery are OK but they seem to like to ask me what I think is wrong! (I'm a very rare visitor btw!) and to need a bit of gentle nudging and directing.

So, symptoms:
-very fatigued, struggling to get up in the morning, struggling to sleep, actually falling asleep in the afternoon if I'm at home and coming close to it at work.
-lots of dull, tension type headaches, pretty much daily
-some gastric symptoms; I'm normally constipated (sorry TMI!) but if I'm not then it tends to be very little warning uh oh, need to go NOW although not generally diarrhoea.
-quite often get abdominal cramps and bloating especially if sitting for a long time (travelling is hell, I travel for work and have to chose my clothes with extreme caution)
-gas blush
-Overweight and find it very difficult to lose weight (I'll lose for a week or two then that's it, done, finito, no more coming off.) I've found that what I eat calorie wise doesn't tie in with my weight since I had severe hyperemesis with my DD 7 years ago and lived on a packet of super noodles per day for about 3 months!
-lots of general body aches and pains
-tingling/cold feeling and aching in right arm
-eyes which go from fine to agonisingly itchy and weeping in 2 seconds for no reason whatsoever; I've tried make up/no makeup/different products and it seems to happen randomly. Optician suspected allergy but after experimenting I'm not convinced
-Very "foggy" mentally, really struggling to focus or concentrate
-very moody, irritable and easily stressed

The blood test picked up a few things:
-Severe Vit D Deficiency (22nmol)
-Folate deficiency (2.7ug/L)
-Vit b12 - technically in range but on the low side at 218
-tryglicerides - below range at 0.63

They also flagged my Hba1C as low, they had a min on the reference range of 29mmol/mol and mine came in at 28

Other tests done were a general blood panel, liver, kidneys, TSH, FT3, FT4 and cortisol. They all seem OK.

What I'm not sure is if it's just the deficiencies themselves which are making me feel rotten or if there's something which might be underlying causing them all. Has anyone had similar symptoms who can offer insight, please? I can't carry on feeling this bad. sad

MichaelSheensNextDW Fri 03-Mar-17 18:40:03

It could well be the deficiencies alone so do crack on and start treatments.

Some autoimmune gut conditions such as coeliac are responsible for absorption problems which can show up as B12/folate deficiencies.

Did they do ferritin? Very much indicated given your symptoms; if it hasn't been done, ask for it. Are you experiencing any hair loss?

I wouldn't personally be concerned about vit d - common to be deficient in the UK. Definitely needs correcting though. The low Hba1C and triglycerides aren't of concern as they are minimally below 'normal' - could be normal for you and your dietary intake.

What was the TSH and T4?

MichaelSheensNextDW Fri 03-Mar-17 18:40:43

And has your GP prescribed anything so far?

GP hasn't prescribed anything yet

TBH I was surprised Hba1c was so low; partially because I feel rubbish I eat rather too much shit at the moment

Ferritin is 50.1

MichaelSheensNextDW Fri 03-Mar-17 19:36:12

Ok you'll need to check to see what units your lab uses, these are the ref ranges in micrograms (ug or mcg)
www.southtees.nhs.uk/services/pathology/tests/Ferritin/

MichaelSheensNextDW Fri 03-Mar-17 19:39:54

BTW your symptoms sound pretty much identical to mine when I was initially misdiagnosed with chronic fatigue syndrome ( don't get me started ) and then I was actually listened to and diagnosed with autoimmune thyroiditis and coeliac disease, the latter of which had caused profound nutrient deficiencies just like yours.

Ferretin is within range, my computer has decided to shut down but the form had the range on it.

I am wondering about coeliac. Would autoimmune thyroiditus have flagged on any of the thyroid tests I've had in any way?

Part of the reason I went for private bloods was to try and avoid "you're just stressed/depressed/fat, go for a walk" and getting nowhere.

Haggard1 Fri 03-Mar-17 20:04:16

Yes, I had many of those symptoms last year. Getting my vit D levels back made such a difference - I wouldn't have believed it, I have energy, feel happier and much less brain fog. Also not falling asleep in that afternoons!

You could try FODMAP for the bloating, I've realised gluten makes me feel crap and I'm in my last week of BLood sugar diet (threads on MN fantastic) and lost 2-4 inches in 8 weeks, and I find it really difficult to lose weight usually.

See what your dr suggests - you'll be feeling better soon.

VLCos Fri 03-Mar-17 20:08:16

Recently I had some tests as I was feeling fatigued, diarrhea and generally unwell and not sleeping.

My vit D , B12, Ferrtin and calcium were all just under the range. Since starting supplements things are improving .

I've low carbed in the past and have felt quite energetic on it by comparison, but I thought at the time it was blood sugar/insulin resistance which now looks less likely. But in retrospect I think there might be a correlation between gluten and fatigue- I tend to feel shattered after lunch which is normally pasta salad, soup and a roll, sandwich etc. I didn't feel like that once this week and it was the day I had a baked potato instead. Might be nothing but once I see if they want to test for coeliac- which requires gluten munching I believe- then I might try eliminating to see if it helps

VLCos Sat 04-Mar-17 10:38:40

I've low carbed to . Strangely fatigue started when I started back on carbs.
Nurse said I induced these low vitamin readings myself with a crazy low carbs diet ! Hope you feel better soon x

Well it's so much easier to blame us isn't it! Fingers crossed for the useful young doc on Monday!

So, an update.

Doc said my symptoms scream coeliac so did a test for that as well as retesting b12 and folate.

Coeliac test has apparently come back normal
B12 has miraculously changed from 218 to 236
Folate is also miraculously no longer low and is now 3.3 - interestingly this would still be out of the range on the private test which had a lower level of 3.9 but I believe nhs is 3.0

Slept for 10 hours last night and still woke up tired. I'm a bit baffled tbh.

Badders123 Fri 10-Mar-17 15:01:03

How old are you?

Peri menopause?

30 so I really hope not! grin

NoMudNoLotus Fri 10-Mar-17 15:28:32

Might well all be down to your vit d.

It can make people feel exactly as you've described - I'm a nurse, I work on a ward & we routinely check vit d levels for exactly this reason.

Wombletor Fri 10-Mar-17 15:28:34

Your symptoms sound familiar. I would ask to be tested for coeliac antibodies. I hope you get a diagnosis soon.

Is that different to the standard coeliac test? It's normal apparently

Doctor wanted to hold off doing anything about vits...seemed to think it was secondary issue. I've just ordered some high strength though as a lot of the symptoms do fit.

NoLotteryWinYet Tue 14-Mar-17 13:30:19

i recommend giving kefir a try - i'm not much into woo but it's like a super-strength gut fixer and i find it helps pick me up a bit when I'm really low. Check out chuckling goat - it's expensive but I usually take in the winter and just about keeps me going!

Davinaaddict Tue 14-Mar-17 21:16:16

I was very similar to you and I discovered I had low stomach acid, causing massive absortbtion problems. I was off work for 7 months with it, yet within 2 weeks if taking the tablets my doctor advised, I was back at work again. I think mine was caused by a yeast infection in my gut after a course of antibiotics, but the NHS don't test for it so I never got a formal diagnosis. Worth checking out though, as it could be similar, or a parasite, or H Pylori also as they also cause absorption problems. I just did the bicarb of soda home test.

knittingwithnettles Tue 14-Mar-17 22:31:22

low vitamin D and B12 can make you feel terrible. Normal Vit D would be 50 to 70 mol. 70 to 100 is optimum.

Thattwatoverthere Tue 14-Mar-17 22:54:11

Your symptoms sound a lot like mine! I'm going to get checked for coeliac too as I was off gluten for a while and have been feeling pretty rubbish since I've started eating it again. Will you update if you do find out what's caused it?

I will do. I started taking a high dose of vit d, b12 and folate and it seems to have made a bit of a difference very quickly, especially to the headaches. I'd been getting them daily and they stopped almost straight away, then Sunday I was travelling so didn't take my vit d as normal. Got a headache. Was going to take painkillers but thought I'd try the vits and within an hour it was gone.

Back at the doc on Friday so I'll see what is said. I'll also look in to the pro biotic and the stomach acid issue as it does feel like there might be something causing all of it and fixing the vitamin levels is just treating the symptoms.

Apparently it's not coeliac although from what I've read the blood test isn't the most accurate.

NoLotteryWinYet Wed 15-Mar-17 07:53:22

I know the kefir company has a blog called the farmer's wife and they cite papers about a lot of tiredness and depression issues starting in the gut although you know how hard it is to prove these things properly! Glad you are feeling a bit better with the higher vits.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now