Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Red,sore c section scar around time of period

(7 Posts)
Sorrento2014 Fri 03-Mar-17 12:57:12

Had my last c section nearly 7 years ago.No problems mainly, general tenderness if I stretch oddly now and again, but in recent months the site of scar has become red and sore,seemingly around time of period. There is a slight odour for a day or two then it just clears up.Any ideas?I guess if it carries on I will need to see GP but I'd rather not have to expose/lift flabby tummy unless I really have to!

MichaelSheensNextDW Fri 03-Mar-17 18:43:29

Skin fold infection - perhaps you sweat a little more premenstrually or wear different underwear? Could be fungal or bacterial colonisation.

Heifer Fri 03-Mar-17 20:26:40

I have the same and my DD is now 13! Agree re skin fold sweat as I also get similar under boobs too.. I find a couple of applications of Savlon gets rid of the infection for a couple of months, then back again - much worse during the summer...

Sorrento2014 Sat 04-Mar-17 12:59:24

Thanks both.Oh the joys eh?!Heifer have you ever had antibiotics or fungal type treatment or just stuck with savlon? I did have a cream once from the GP but ages ago now just after section

PaulaBBB Sat 04-Mar-17 13:02:23

I get this too! But around the time I ovulate, it's the same every month! I just make sure to wash it well and then apply a combination of these

MollyRedskirts Sat 04-Mar-17 13:07:31

Yep, it'll be down to increased sweating.

My csection was only 16 months ago but I've had terrible problems healing the scar - it split open in several places, only tiny openings, but enough to need to have it dressed. The last one happened a week ago, like there was a spot within the scar that needed to burst. Grim.

I swear by Dermol bath emollient, the antibacterial one (I think it's called Dermol 600). The nurses told me to wash with my normal soap, then use a bit of the Dermol neat over the scar. It keeps it supple and I don't get fungal infections since I started doing this. I use it every time I shower. It's pricy, but the bottle is massive and lasts forever.

Sorrento2014 Sat 04-Mar-17 13:25:13

Thanks for your suggestions everyone and for posting,it's a real help x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now