We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Red,sore c section scar around time of period

(7 Posts)
Sorrento2014 Fri 03-Mar-17 12:57:12

Had my last c section nearly 7 years ago.No problems mainly, general tenderness if I stretch oddly now and again, but in recent months the site of scar has become red and sore,seemingly around time of period. There is a slight odour for a day or two then it just clears up.Any ideas?I guess if it carries on I will need to see GP but I'd rather not have to expose/lift flabby tummy unless I really have to!

MichaelSheensNextDW Fri 03-Mar-17 18:43:29

Skin fold infection - perhaps you sweat a little more premenstrually or wear different underwear? Could be fungal or bacterial colonisation.

Heifer Fri 03-Mar-17 20:26:40

I have the same and my DD is now 13! Agree re skin fold sweat as I also get similar under boobs too.. I find a couple of applications of Savlon gets rid of the infection for a couple of months, then back again - much worse during the summer...

Sorrento2014 Sat 04-Mar-17 12:59:24

Thanks both.Oh the joys eh?!Heifer have you ever had antibiotics or fungal type treatment or just stuck with savlon? I did have a cream once from the GP but ages ago now just after section

PaulaBBB Sat 04-Mar-17 13:02:23

I get this too! But around the time I ovulate, it's the same every month! I just make sure to wash it well and then apply a combination of these

MollyRedskirts Sat 04-Mar-17 13:07:31

Yep, it'll be down to increased sweating.

My csection was only 16 months ago but I've had terrible problems healing the scar - it split open in several places, only tiny openings, but enough to need to have it dressed. The last one happened a week ago, like there was a spot within the scar that needed to burst. Grim.

I swear by Dermol bath emollient, the antibacterial one (I think it's called Dermol 600). The nurses told me to wash with my normal soap, then use a bit of the Dermol neat over the scar. It keeps it supple and I don't get fungal infections since I started doing this. I use it every time I shower. It's pricy, but the bottle is massive and lasts forever.

Sorrento2014 Sat 04-Mar-17 13:25:13

Thanks for your suggestions everyone and for posting,it's a real help x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now