Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Long period- is this normal?

(13 Posts)
tinkerbellone Fri 03-Mar-17 06:59:09

I'm 42. My periods are so long!
They start with light spotting for 3 days (not enough for a proper sanitary towel but not enough not to have one) then 2 day of light period follows by 3 days of ridiculously heavy flow (tampon changed every hour with heavy flow towel at same time) then it's back to medium/light flow for 2 days and then spotting 2 days.
I've had blood tests - all clear.
Any ideas? Feeling fed up.

PollyPerky Fri 03-Mar-17 10:46:22

So 12 days in total?

No it's not normal.

What were the blood tests for?

Go back to your GP- they should arrange a scan to look at your uterus to see if you have fibroids or polyps, but low progesterone can also cause longer cycles and more bleeding. It could be the start of peri menopause .

Itsnothingoriginal Fri 03-Mar-17 11:33:51

Yes agree with Polly - you really need a scan to rule out any other causes.

tinkerbellone Fri 03-Mar-17 20:41:16

Blood tests were for hormone levels, thyroid, clotting, full blood work. All clear.
They've booked me in for a scan now. Feeling nervous

Minime85 Sun 05-Mar-17 08:02:09

I'm having similar to you lasts about 8 days and ridiculously heavy for 3 days. So painful. gp says I have to have internal and then a scan if necessary and like other poster said suggested polyps and fibroids. Also have to have blood tests. I have thought could be peri menopausal I'm nearly 40.

tinkerbellone Thu 09-Mar-17 21:39:29

I've had a scan and it's a 16mm x 9mm polyp in my womb.
Now I've gone and Googled it and scared myself silly about getting it removed sad

LuluJakey1 Thu 09-Mar-17 22:06:34

I had one and had it removed under general anaesthetic. It was fine. They are almost always benign when small and yours is small.

Itsnothingoriginal Thu 09-Mar-17 22:06:58

Try not to worry, presumably they recommended it was removed? It's a simple procedure, honestly. I had a recent hysteroscopy to remove a large polyp. Had all the same symptoms as you.

tinkerbellone Thu 09-Mar-17 22:11:23

I've been referred to gynaecology. Appointment in a week - I'm assuming to discuss removal. I had a loop procedure once and it was so awful. I had a bad reaction to the adrenaline and the woman carried on hoovering and scraping. I cried too! I was so wobbly and shaky afterwards, I was poorly for over a week.. So I'm dreading this.
I'm not normally such a wuss (I've had four children and had third degree tears sewn up so a bit bewildered why this scares me so much!)

LuluJakey1 Sat 11-Mar-17 23:38:29

You have a general anaesthetic- at least I did. It was a hysteroscopy and done under GA

tinkerbellone Sun 12-Mar-17 19:28:04

Thank you. Lulu - what was your recovery like?

LuluJakey1 Sun 12-Mar-17 21:06:31

I went home the same day -in the afternoon. Felt normal. Took two paracetemol that night. Never needed any more. I had some bleeding but no pain. Was back at work 3 days later (and two of those were a weekend so extras). Felt fine.

tinkerbellone Mon 13-Mar-17 09:21:42

Thank you- that's definitely made me feel less worried xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now