Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Endometrial Ablation - help please!

(21 Posts)
TheHuntingOfTheSarky Thu 02-Mar-17 20:35:04

Briefly, I'm due to have an Endometrial Ablation on the 14th following a private gynae consultation today. I was just hoping to find some others who've had the procedure and could tell me what to expect with regards to pain levels and recovery time. Also I'm not sure DH can take time off work so will I be OK to drive myself home afterwards? Any info gratefully received!

Nearlyhadenough Thu 02-Mar-17 21:20:17

I had an ablation on the 10th Feb (3 weeks ago tomorrow).

Came round in recovery in some pain, not terrible though. Given some medication through IV line, which only helped a bit. Rested in bed, listening to an audio book afterwards for 2/3 hours, had teas and biscuits.

When I tried to get dressed my blood pressure plummeted, making my very dizzy and sick. Rested longer and tried again - same thing happened! Anti-sickness and some other drug given (orally). Unfortunately there were no beds so I HAD to go home,

You are not allowed to drive and the nurse contacted my daughter to collect me and 'handed' me over to her. There was no way that I could have driven. I did have a reaction to the anaesthetic - so it was probably worse.

I spent the following day resting on the sofa taking paracetamol and ibuprofen alternately every 2 hours. I needed a hot water bottle at all times on my tummy as it really did help. Not too painful, but I wanted to keep on top of it.

I thought that one days rest would be all that I would need! I was wrong. The leaflet said 2-5 days and I took 5 to be OK.

I am still taking pain relief as for some reason the pain I had previously during a period is present all the time.

Hope that helps!

NoelHeadbands Thu 02-Mar-17 21:26:29

I had mine at 8am on the Saturday morning.

Was home mid-morning (didn't drive myself), spent the rest of the day on the sofa in me pyjamas and surgical stockings, popping painkillers every so often and being waited on with cups of tea. The pain was like a bad period I guess.

On Sunday the pain was gone and I felt fine, Monday I was back at work as normal and I haven't had a period since (3 years ago).

RandomMess Thu 02-Mar-17 21:31:27

I had my tubes clipped at the same time - because you need "reliable" contraception still post ablation.

Ended up in hospital for 48 hours afterwards instead of 6 hour discharge...

2 weeks off work, a further week on part time hours. I think a combination of GA (I had warned them I was very unwell previously post GA) and being pumped full of gas didn't help plus a wound infection in my keyhole incision.

Absolutely no regrets - so worth it to just have light spotting a day or 2 per month 6.5 years on!

TheHuntingOfTheSarky Thu 02-Mar-17 22:31:32

And there was me thinking I'd be fine to drive myself home and pick up my DDs from school as usual..... hmm!

I think I'd better ask DH to take the day off.

I haven't been told if it'll be local or general anaesthetic yet. Last general I had (ELCS with DD2) wasn't good. Is it usually a general?

RandomMess Thu 02-Mar-17 22:34:13

General here no other option given...

CornflakeHomunculus Thu 02-Mar-17 22:44:17

General here no other option given...

Same, had mine under GA and there was never any mention of other options.

I had some moderate cramping (not as bad a proper period) when I first woke up but it eased off pretty quickly. By the time I went home a few hours later I felt pretty much fine. Obviously not allowed to drive though, I had to arrange someone to come pick me up.

Once the initial pain had worn off that was it, I didn't have any more. Nothing happened for nearly a week then suddenly I bled a bit which tailed off gradually over a few weeks.

The GA affected me more than the ablation, they seem to knock me for six these days and although physically I was fine it took a good few days for me to feel normal again.

I'm having another, hopefully soon, and Im not worried about it at all other than the prospect of it potentially not working again sad

ExplodedCloud Thu 02-Mar-17 22:52:43

I had mine a few years ago. They wouldn't do it except under GA. I would have preferred a spinal block. Hence you must be collected. It was uncomfortable at worst for me but very little pain as I recall. Felt a bit bruised and groggy for 48 hours. Thin discharge for a couple of weeks.
And no periods since <happy dance>

OldGuard Thu 02-Mar-17 22:57:44

My was very painful - needed serious pain relief - but 24 hours later just fine - and great ever since - wish I'd done it years ago - best thing EVER

steveharley Thu 02-Mar-17 23:10:28

I was also very sick after the GA. Pain and general wooziness for around a week but ok to function gently with rest and paracetamol.
I bled for nearly 6 weeks but a year on I have small very light bleeds every now and again (6 in a year I think) and no period pain. Like others up thread - worth every second of discomfort to get my life back!
Bizarrely I still get the regular monthly upset tummy that I always did pre period so there is definitely something hormonal going on still!

TheHuntingOfTheSarky Fri 03-Mar-17 07:59:11

Cornflake I am interested that you are having another done. Was that private or NHs? That's my worry really, that it won't work - but if there's a chance they might try it again then that's encouraging. I think my consultant said it only doesn't work for 15% of women though.

Have told DH to take 2 days off. Ha! I shall lie on the sofa and give orders!

Thanks for all the info. I'm glad about the GA actually, didn't fancy being awake for it despite having survived two C sections!

CornflakeHomunculus Fri 03-Mar-17 12:43:27

Its all been NHS so far though I am going to ask if it's possible to go private for the next one (if I can afford it) to get it done as soon as possible.

I was told about 20% of women need to have a second one done and in the majority of cases the second one does the trick.

My mum also had horror show periods and went for an ablation to sort them out. Her first one didn't work but the second did the trick so I'm keeping everything crossed the same happens for me.

TheHuntingOfTheSarky Fri 03-Mar-17 19:33:17

I am keeping everything crossed for you! My insurance company are currently saying they will only cover the procedure plus one follow-up appointment. Hopefully it'll work for me first time around. My only alternatives are the Mirena coil, which I have refused for various reasons, or a hysterectomy which would be the last resort.

BG2015 Sat 04-Mar-17 15:07:18

I had an ablation last September. I'm in the UK. I was awake, given paracetamol before hand and an injection into my cervix to numb the pain.

Mine was where they fill a balloon of water up and then heat it up to burn away the lining of the uterus. It was VERY painful and lasted for 2 minutes, a lovely nurse held my hand and I breathed through the pain, like you would for a contraction. It was manageable. They don't give you a general in the UK.

Sat for half an hour after and had a drink and biscuits. My OH drove me home and that afternoon I had some quite strong cramping - used a heated wheat bag and took paracetamol every four hours. I had it done Friday morning and was back in work on Monday, I'm a primary school teacher.

I had watery discharge then bleeding for about 4 weeks.

It didn't work for me unfortunately and I bled constantly from December onwards. I'm now waiting for a hysterectomy.

Good luck with yours

TheHuntingOfTheSarky Sun 05-Mar-17 09:25:45

BG was yours done privately or on the NHS?

I am having a biopsy at the sa e time, don't know if this makes any difference.

I don't think I am having the saline solution, I think I'm having the electrical current treatment.

TheHuntingOfTheSarky Sun 05-Mar-17 09:27:46

And actually, thinking about it she said that I would only have to stay overnight if I had a bad reaction to the anaesthetic, which seems to indicate I will be having a general....

BG2015 Sun 05-Mar-17 09:56:09

Mine was done under the NHS. I had a biopsy done too at the same time. Awake for it all.

The consultant I saw 3 weeks ago (female) told me she didn't even know why I'd been offered an ablation as I had fibroids and an ablation doesn't usually work.

You need to check about the GA as you'll need to take overnight stuff in

MollyRedskirts Sun 05-Mar-17 10:11:51

I had it in January, under a general. My hospital use the Novasure procedure and wanted to do it under local, but I asked for a general anaesthetic and had it that way. I was out of the recovery bed five minutes after I woke up, and in a chair in the day ward with tea and biscuits. I threw up once in the hospital and once on the way home, but that's how I react to general anaesthetics.

Pain-wise - mild period cramps. I was utterly exhausted for days afterwards though. I'd say it took a week for me to be able to get through the day without sleeping, then another week to feel normal again.

I was actually on my period during the procedure. It was like a minor miracle because I went in bleeding heavily, then it went to nothing! The post-op bleeding did start the next day and lasted for about four weeks. I couldn't tell if the end of it was a period, or post-op bleeding.

One thing I wish I'd been told: the bleeding from the op can have a weird smell. The hospital emphasised that a bad smell could mean infection, but it wasn't a bad smell. It was plasticky and strong, and obviously a sort of burnt smell. It was stronger in the beginning and then it reminded me of lochia.

I haven't had a period since, just a teeny bit of spotting when wiping after a wee, at the time my period would be due. I've worn pantyliners just in case and had no staining. It's fantastic and absolutely worth it.

TheHuntingOfTheSarky Sun 05-Mar-17 11:10:27

That's interesting BG as I also have a fibroid. Mine is about 4.5cm diameter which I don't think is particularly large? My consultant was very sure that it was the way to go though. I think because I have refused the Mirena coil.

TheHuntingOfTheSarky Sun 05-Mar-17 11:14:56

Oh Molly I really hope I get the same result. It would be an absolute dream come true!

The hospital should be phoning me tomorrow to tell me what I need to bring so I will know then whether general or local anaesthetic.

BG2015 Sun 05-Mar-17 13:12:33

I have had 2 previous Mirena coils, both worked reasonably well, the second one failed last May and I've been bleeding ever since - taking Northisterone to stop the bleeding. I've had heavy constant bleeding since 2009.

I have 2 fibroids, the largest is 3.5cm so not big at all but they are what are causing my bleeding. I did read online that the fail rate of ablation is pretty high with many women finding that they still get a period just not as heavy.

The female consultant told me in order for the ablation to work the walls of the uterus need to be free of bumps e.g fibroids. So an ablation was never going to work for me.

Just want a hysterectomy now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now