Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Period pain

(4 Posts)
caremummy Wed 01-Mar-17 14:24:11

Hi
since the age of 11 I have suffered very painful periods particularly on my right hand side as well as nausea, breathlessness, dizziness, feeling faint, exhausted and so on. At my old GP surgery there was a fantastic pain clinic ran by the Nursing team which was really good and set up a support network and meant I was able to live with it and manage it a bit, with the help of a prescription for tranexamic acid and ponstan. However, since moving the only option I have had is to go on the pill, which I think may just mask the problem and I don't really want to that. Any ideas/suggestions. I'm 24. Thankyou

AttilaTheMeerkat Wed 01-Mar-17 15:10:21

Hi,

Has anyone ever mentioned the word "endometriosis" to you?

I would insist to your new GP that you are referred to a gynaecologist for further evaluation to see if this is present. I mention endometriosis because this is a common cause of very painful periods and it can start from a young age as well. I also note that you have been given tablets that are often prescribed to women diagnosed eventually with endometriosis. The pill will mask the symptoms and not at all address the underlying problem.

AttilaTheMeerkat Wed 01-Mar-17 15:11:46

I would also suggest you keep a daily pain (note pain on a scale from 1-10) and symptom diary if you do not already do this. It will help the gynaecologist further.

caremummy Wed 08-Mar-17 21:20:10

Thanks, as it happens i've just started learning about this for my degree. I'll go back and ask for that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now