Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Tonsiltis

(6 Posts)
user1487015199 Wed 01-Mar-17 10:05:31

Hello,
I've been ill for weeks, sore throats, cold, shivery, on Sunday I noticed me tonsils had white dots on, so went to gp who prescribed 8 days worth of penicillin, I'm feeling no better and the white spots are now huge I've been up all night coughing, does anyone know how long this normally lasts? I've never tonsiltis before and never felt so ill, I'm boiling hot with no appetite, feel sick too
Thank you

CassyD Wed 01-Mar-17 13:14:54

drink a lot of tea with ginger, must help

caremummy Wed 01-Mar-17 13:55:44

If one of your tonsils is a lot bigger/more painful than the other keep an eye on it because it could be a quinsy. The longest I had tonsillitis was 10 days although I felt considerably better 6 days into the penicillin. Gargling salt/turmeric/ soluble paracetamol can really help. Agree with the above with the ginger

user1487015199 Wed 01-Mar-17 16:23:52

Thank you I'll try that

Was wondering if it might be viral with feeling no better despite taking 2grams of penicillin a day,

caremummy Wed 01-Mar-17 17:13:22

It very well could be - though nowadays they are quite strict about giving out antibiotics so don't tend to unless they're pretty sure. Hope you feel better soon.

user1487015199 Wed 01-Mar-17 17:49:45

Thank you

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now