Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

GERD

(7 Posts)
VLCos Wed 01-Mar-17 10:02:49

Hello I have been suffering with this a while . Having a bad flare up , went to GP yesterday who said try double dose of PPI if it doesn't ease come back. Today I feel a bit breathless anyone who suffers from this have you experienced breathlessness at all ? Thanks

Should add I had an endoscopy a few months ago everything seemed OK nothing sinister

JBH316 Wed 01-Mar-17 12:48:52

I haven't personally but I am a member of a gastritis/reflux support group (what a rock and roll life I lead!) and I've read this a lot. I think it's quite a common symptom of reflux. If it's just started after increasing your meds, it might be a side effect of that too - I'm sure I saw it listed on mine. Maybe speak to a pharmacist if it persists.

Hope you feel better soon

VLCos Wed 01-Mar-17 13:15:27

Yes I have just increased them as I've had a flare up!thanks for the reply

sufferingicecakes Wed 01-Mar-17 19:24:56

I had this before I took a PPI. I also had a popping sound (within the lung) when I took a deep breath. My theory is that it was the reflux; it went as soon as I got on a PPI.

If your PPI was not controlling the symptoms this could be a similar situation.

VLCos Wed 01-Mar-17 19:33:16

Ah it does sound similar. I saw trying to lower my dose but I think because I have had a stressful period it has triggered an episode and I need to go back to my higher dose. Thank you

Squidgems Wed 01-Mar-17 23:26:43

I've had oesophagitis for a number of years and have been taking 30mg lansoprazole every morning. Few months ago developed chronic cough. Like your GP mine said to double the dose. Then I was checked for asthma (which I have had in the past). Went through various inhalers and now using a Fostair one each morning (and evening when I remember). Still a bit of a cough sometimes. A consultant said it's a reflux cough and to keep using lansoprazole once a day but to also take Gaviscon Advance after meals and definitely before bedtime.

So you should get tested for asthma and try Gaviscon Advance. Good luck!

VLCos Fri 03-Mar-17 14:23:43

Ah thank for that advice. it seems to have eased a lot since I doubled my ppi I will keep an eye on it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now