Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Lletz procedure - third time lucky - sick of all the foof drama

(9 Posts)
PositivePeggyNans Tue 28-Feb-17 21:17:44

Hi there,

Looking for a hand hold really - and really fancy a bloody rant

I have my THIRD bloody Lletz procedure on Thursday. For nine years I have been getting abnormal results and they have treated me twice already with this procedure.

It hasn't worked in the two treatments before, every smear comes up with abnormal cells

I had a colposcopy about 6 weeks ago and she said the cervix looked FINE and did not know where these abnormal cells were coming from. Then she said that she was going to go to the multidisciplinary meeting for a discussion, (this is the second time this has happened) and then wrote to me saying they have decided to do a Lletz again.

I don't understand why they would perform a lletz again if they cannot see any changes on the cervix, it is almost like they are doing it for the sake of it.

I have been told that if this doesn't work then they want to perform a hysterectomy. Isnt that a bit OTT for abnormal cells? They haven't developed into anything else, and maybe never will - maybe they are as sick of monitoring me as I am legs akimbo in the stirrups over the course of nine years..

LapinR0se Tue 28-Feb-17 21:20:05

Sure they didn't say hysteroscopy?

PositivePeggyNans Tue 28-Feb-17 21:23:21

No definitely not that, I just had to google to see what that was

LapinR0se Tue 28-Feb-17 21:42:38

If it's definitely a hysterectomy then I would challenge that quite hard. It is major surgery and they would usually try and avoid if possible

PositivePeggyNans Tue 28-Feb-17 21:51:33

The whole thing seems very strange to me. If they don't know where the abnormal cells are coming from, it is a real shot in the dark to take a swipe at a cervix they can see is clear of abnormalities?

Yes two different consultants have mentioned eventual hysterectomy I think it is because they don't know where the cells are coming from and want to cover all bases

Has anyone else every heard of anything like this? A lletz procedure being carried out on a cervix they can see is healthy

MyBeloved Tue 28-Feb-17 22:43:38

Oh I'm sorry to hear you're going through this. Have they taken biopsies from the uterus to see if there are any abnormal cells there?

I'm sure I did know of someone once who did have a hysterectomy for something similar and she was fine afterwards.

MrsNuckyThompson Wed 01-Mar-17 07:31:05

Who is the 'she' you have been talking to? Seems to me you need to push for an appointment with the consultant in charge of advising this course of action for you so that they can better inform you of their choice of recommended action. You can't make an informed decision with most any data...

PositivePeggyNans Wed 01-Mar-17 21:41:59

Thank you for replying everyone

MrsNuckyThompson this is the consultant in charge who I have been seeing - whom I am referring to. I have just been re-reading the letter she sent - they cant give me data that they don't have basically they do not know where the cells are coming from and are hoping to have more answers after tomorrow - although I struggle to understand how they would get more answers when the consultant said only a few weeks ago that there were no abnormalities visable on my cervix.

With being unsure where the abnormalities are coming from even the consultant was not immediately sure how to progress until this recent meeting with the multidisciplinary team so It seems to me they are doing any action rather than leaving it?

It is all very strange and confusing and even worse they really do not seem to know anything,d espite this going on for so many years.

MyBeloved thank you for the reassurance, no they have never done biopsies from the uterus

roundaboutthetown Sat 04-Mar-17 10:00:17

What do the actual cytology reports say, OP? What type and grade of abnormality is being picked up by your smear tests? And do you know if you have HPV infection, and if so, which type?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now