Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

What do you think my chances are of not getting this stomach bug?

(16 Posts)
reebsr33bs Tue 28-Feb-17 17:49:24

My daughter spent the weekend at her boyfriends. Whilst there him, his mum and two sisters all started vomiting.
DD cleared up sick.

This started late afternoon Sunday.

She came home yesterday afternoon and was ok until 7:30am this morning. She was sick until 3pm and seems to have stopped now.

We live in three story house - she's in her room on bottom floor with en suite. She hasn't left her room since it started. I haven't gone in and have left supplies outside her door.

I am a severe emeroohobe and have bleached kitchen and door handles, bannister, light switches. I've been repeatedly washing hands, used clinell hand gel and wipes. Wearing disposable gloves to prepare food.

I've also drink 2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar in water.

Is there a chance I'll be ok?

Alice212 Tue 28-Feb-17 17:54:40

You might be okay
I'm emetophobic and I've not heard of the cider vinegar one, I'll remember that.
Your dd needs to stay in her room for a while though, she certainly can't go in the kitchen and handle food.
Wish her better ASAP and crossing fingers that you don't get it.

reebsr33bs Tue 28-Feb-17 18:19:26

I came across it on one of my many panicked google searches - alters the gut environment to be less friendly to norovirus!

How long after last sick til I release her from the dungeon?

Poor thing I feel awful that I have banished her - I have really important training course on thurs and Friday , I need to be ok!

wishcarry Tue 28-Feb-17 18:26:09

My two dds and my oh all had the bug about a month ago.I was the one cleaning up all the sick,but I didn't get sick myself.
like you I was washing my hands and sterilising the house a fair bit. (May have been psychological why I didn't get it though as I kept telling myself-wish you can't get sick,you don't have time to get sick,)

feesh Tue 28-Feb-17 18:28:02

You'll be fine. One of my kids got very sick last week and then my husband went down with it. I kept them confined and bleached the bathroom they were using. Didn't let her anywhere near her brother.

Neither me nor my son caught it.

Alice212 Tue 28-Feb-17 18:36:59

Ive confined myself to a tiny flat for 48 hours after last being ill, tbh I couldn't move from bedroom and bathroom much anyway.

reebsr33bs Tue 28-Feb-17 18:55:21

I'm not sure what to do about cleaning her bathroom

Am I best going in to do it and risk catching it but doing it properly

Or giving her the stuff to do it when she feels well enough to do it

Alice212 Tue 28-Feb-17 19:25:09

It depends how she feels really
hopefully she'll be fighting fit soon

reebsr33bs Tue 28-Feb-17 19:37:08

In terms of risk to everyone else in house is it best leaving it or going in and spraying bleach around x

feesh Tue 28-Feb-17 19:42:00

Go in with rubber gloves, an e cloth and a bucket of bleach solution. Wipe every surface down incl door handles. After you finish, Cloth and gloves go straight in the bin, your clothes go in the wash and you go in the shower.

reebsr33bs Tue 28-Feb-17 19:46:51

I'm so scared to go in sad but it will just be around waiting to be spread if I don't won't it ? sad

TheFairyCaravan Tue 28-Feb-17 19:52:55

I'm an emetophobe too. It's bloody awful when someone gets sick.

A couple of years ago DS2 had Norovirus. He didn't make the toilet and I cleared up the sick. I bleached everything, the house stank for weeks, but no one else got sick.

He's a student nurse now. On his last placement the ward had patients with Norovirus twice. He nursed them but didn't catch it.

I would do what feesh says. Go in with a bucket of bleach and give it a good clean.

I hope you don't get it.

reebsr33bs Wed 01-Mar-17 21:42:45

Bug update - still no sick and 34 hours since DD stopped vomiting.

How long until I can relax?

Elvisrocks Wed 01-Mar-17 21:53:52

I think it depends on your blood type. Certain types (especially O) are more susceptible to vomiting bugs than others.

reebsr33bs Thu 02-Mar-17 06:33:09

Child number 2 was sick last night sad

Finding it difficult to cope.

Twopeapods Fri 03-Mar-17 23:20:01

Same rules apply to DC2 if they are old enough to manage.
I am also severe emetophobic. My DH and DD1 has had it twice over the last two years and I have been able to avoid it, despite doing the cleaning etc.
I clean the bathroom thoroughly after each bout from someone. Sleep separately from DH, hot wash everything with added dettol stuff, use disposable gloves and hand gel all the time. Don't let them near kitchen either. If you don't have a dishwasher add some Milton to do dishes in and leave them to steep for a bit.
I really hope you don't catch it and your DCs are better now. flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now