Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

What to do for a painful sore throat.

(8 Posts)
Aquamarine70 Tue 28-Feb-17 13:17:14

Any tips for a really painful sore throat? I don't know whether to see a Dr as I don't feel poorly. I don't have a cold. I don't know if I need antibiotics or just to leave it. It just hurts so much when I swallow & is red. I'm not sure if it's Strep throat. I have got some numbing throat lozenges but they don't really help as it hurts to keep swallowing. I had my Prolia injection last week & one of the side effects is a risk of getting an infection.

justbeinreal Tue 28-Feb-17 13:18:09

I find The anaesthetic spray much better you can get it in most big supermarkets or chemists

TupperwareTat Tue 28-Feb-17 13:19:14

Dequidin lozenges
Difflam spray
Ibrofrufen
Co-Codamol

All at Tesco/Boots pharmacy

flowers Get well soon.

mortificado Tue 28-Feb-17 13:19:22

Glass of water with 2-3 drops tea tree oil. Gargle on spit. (It had antiseptic properties) doesn't taste great but helps me

mortificado Tue 28-Feb-17 13:19:42

And* not on!

Happyinthehills Tue 28-Feb-17 13:20:48

Gargle with soluble aspirin

GieryFas Tue 28-Feb-17 13:21:49

Tyrozets (sp?) which come in an orange plastic tube help a lot, and you can just dissolve them under your tongue. You will need to ask the pharmacist for them, they're behind the counter. Also gargling with hot salt water can help.

Aquamarine70 Tue 28-Feb-17 14:18:26

Thanks Everyone. I'm in Australia so I can't get Tyrozets here but I remember they were good. I had a painful ulcer once & held it against it & it really helped to soothe it.
I hsve taken Panedeine Extra which we can buy OTC & each tablet has 15mg of codeine & it has taken the edge off.

I have some soluble aspirin so I'll gargle with that before I go to bed soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now