Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Fungus

(5 Posts)
BasilInTheRatatouille Mon 27-Feb-17 09:35:51

Hello there,
Anyone have any remedies for a stubborn toenail fungus? Ewww. I've been treating it with a Scholl stick thing for six months but It's persisting. I want to wear varnish and sandals in the summer. Help!

poochiepants Mon 27-Feb-17 09:43:27

Try cutting the nail v short and then soaking your toe in white vinegar. The fungus needs to be killed off, and a mild acid getting closer to the problem beneath the helps. It worked for me.

Wolpertinger Mon 27-Feb-17 09:48:21

Is the toenail infected? I tried everything, teatree oil - just ended up with a stained nail, the stick - pointless, the nail lacquer - again pointless.

Only thing that worked was getting a proper course of oral anti-fungals - terbinafine. Your GP may not be keen to prescribe as they do however come with a small risk of liver problems which seems a big risk for the pleasure of wearing sandals. I was fed up having had it for years and got them prescribed on line from Lloyds chemist. Had to answer a questionnaire and send them a photo of my toe.

charliebear78 Mon 27-Feb-17 09:58:34

My OH has just finished a course of the anti-fungal tablets.(6 mth)
His toenails and indeed the skin on his entire foot were a real mess-he had tried over the counter products over the years but the only thing that cleared it up were those tablets.
He did have to have blood tests during the course to check his liver, and to start his GP didn't really want to prescribe.

BasilInTheRatatouille Mon 27-Feb-17 12:58:25

Thank you all for your replies. I'll try the white vinegar first. How I do I know if it's infected? I'd rather not take tablets as I take so many for other things sad
Someone mentioned Listerine to me just now. Any one used this (for fungus toe, not mouthwash)?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now