Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

DCIS

(3 Posts)
Zebedeethezebra Fri 24-Feb-17 23:00:09

I was told today I had high grade DCIS. I'm a bit confused. The surgeon said it wasn't cancer, but pre-cancer, but would develop into cancer if not sorted out. So I have to have a wide local excision and radiotherapy.

I know you're not meant to google this stuff, but I have because I'm curious. I've come across a load of websites (reputable sources such as MacMillan) that call it a form of breast cancer.

So all day I've been thinking, oh well it could be worse I could have have actual cancer, and now I'm wondering if I have and the surgeon wasn't entirely open about it.

Has anyone else had this? I'm feeling a bit lost and confused. Plus I was told to stop the HRT which is even more upsetting. I'm 50.

Lehinch Fri 24-Feb-17 23:28:48

I've had it, and was told it is a type of breast cancer but is non invasive and so can't spread to the rest of your body, which is why some doctors call it a pre-cancer. If it's not removed, it can eventually change into invasive cancer but that takes a long time.

flowers for you, the worrying is horrible I know.

Zebedeethezebra Sat 25-Feb-17 17:25:49

Thanks Lehinch. Did you have radiotherapy? How did that make you feel?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now