Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Pap results borderline changes and HPV

(5 Posts)
Scarftown Fri 24-Feb-17 19:20:37

Hi all

Just got my smear results and I have borderline changes and a positive HPV result and my referral for a colposcopy is on its way apparently.

Couple of questions.

If I haven't had unprotected sex with anyone but my boyfriend is he likely to have given it to me or is an ex who I always used condoms with just as likely?

And do I need to tell previous sexual partners I have it? Do they need to get tested etc?

I assume me and my current boyfriend should use condoma again for the foreseeable future?

I have decided not to worry about the smear test results itself yet but am I right too?

Thanks.

IllMetByMoonlight Fri 24-Feb-17 19:29:34

Watching with interest! I have wondered about this too, as DPs ex developed cervical cancer (approx 10 years ago, and thankfully fully recovered), but no health professional I have spoken to concerning possible implications for my health has been able to tell me anything.

IllMetByMoonlight Fri 24-Feb-17 19:34:35

Posted too soon.
In the meantime, I hope you are able to find some peace of mind, and not to worry until you have more information. Wishing you well flowers

Scarftown Fri 24-Feb-17 20:19:26

Thank you.

I know HPV is common and rarely has symptoms unless it is the genital warts variety, which I assume this isn't.

But I'm not really sure what to do about it now. Plus I want all the facts for when I go see my boyfriend later.

BelaLug0si Fri 24-Feb-17 23:14:26

HPV can be transmitted by skin to skin contact, so using condoms doesn't protect against it. It is very common virus, most people have had HPV infection of some type in their lives.
I've given some links you might find helpful, mostly from the colposcopists' association website. Borderline changes results are about 4-5% of all test results.
From the BSCCP website:
Info about HPV here
Info about colposcopy
Info about what smear test results mean

From NHS choices HPV transmission

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now