Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Water flosser

(13 Posts)
TheChippendenSpook Fri 24-Feb-17 14:37:16

If you have a water flosser such as the Waterpik or Sonicare which one do you have?

I have been looking at reviews on Amazon and can't decide which one to go for. So I thought I'd ask on here.

Ideally I'd like a rechargeable one as the ones I have seen only seem to have a 2 pin plug.

Greenteandchives Fri 24-Feb-17 14:42:44

I have a rechargeable Sonicare. I bought it because it was cheaper than the Waterpik. I fill it with diluted mouthwash. I don't know if it does any good, but it leaves my mouth feeling clean and fresh.

dancemom Fri 24-Feb-17 14:49:34

Me too!

I have the Sonicare and I fill it with (neat) mouthwash - I love it!

dancemom Fri 24-Feb-17 14:50:04

It has the 2 pin Plug but I just use an adaptor

TheChippendenSpook Fri 24-Feb-17 16:48:03

Thanks :-) I think I'll have a good look at the sonicare again

eggsandwich Fri 24-Feb-17 19:34:34

My Dd has a waterpik flosser, she also puts in neat mouthwash as well, she was advised to get one after she had her braces off as she has a metal retainer behind the top and bottom front teeth to keep them from moving should she forget to put in her plastic retainer of a night.

My Dd is unable to use tape flosser on the front teeth as the metal retainer prevent the tape going to the bottom of the tooth. She loves her waterpik and I've just brought some replacement heads from amazon.

eggsandwich Fri 24-Feb-17 19:36:59

Oh forgot to mention that it's also rechargeable.

maggiso Fri 24-Feb-17 22:01:43

I have the phillips sonicare too. I was advised to buy a water flosser or similar- but the hygienist said she could not recommend any particular type/ brand. She did give me some pointers on how to choose. Look at the amount of water/ mouthrinse it holds - is it enough for each use ( sonicare is) or will you need to keep filling it. Do you have a mirror over the sink (water/mouth rinse can be splashy- I presume an air flosser is not?) Will it suit your electrical use ( ie can it be put on charge easily without getting in the way?). If others need to use it can it be shared/heads changed easily ( sonicare is too stiff for my small hands to easily swop over- DH can do it- kids probably not)There were other things. I think I read lots of reviews- but it is confusing. Mine only partially works because my teeth are squashed together ( no gaps)- but it is easier than flossing so gets done every day( I still floss traditionally occasionally).
By the way if you have no 2 pin shaver sockets in your bathroom, you will need to buy a 2 pin shaver adapter - sold in Boots and electrical stores etc and plug into your normal sockets.

TheChippendenSpook Fri 24-Feb-17 22:28:22

Thanks for taking the time to reply everyone smile I think I do need one that has interchangeable heads as dh will most probably want to use it too.

BahHumbygge Sat 25-Feb-17 00:13:59

Lidl have one available this weekend in their aisle of wonder offers for 24.99 if you're interested...

www.lidl.co.uk/en/our-offers-2491.htm?action=showDetail&id=42016&ar=6

MsMims Sat 25-Feb-17 00:24:12

There was a study done that showed the waterpik is more effective than the sonicare so I'd go for that one if there's not much difference in price.

DoorKnee Sat 25-Feb-17 00:28:06

I have one and I love it. Phillips one, I also put mouthwash in it. You still need to floss though according to my dentist. I use the water flosser twice a day and floss with tape...a little less often!

TheChippendenSpook Sat 25-Feb-17 09:48:29

@BahHumbygge thank you for letting me know about Lidl :-) we don't have one near me unfortunately.

I think I'll go with the Waterpik. Who knew that it would be such a difficult decision?! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now